Lost Relationships - Access 2002

JudyJones
StarLounger

Lost Relationships - Access 2002

Post by JudyJones »

What would cause a loss of relationships between tables? Each of our 88 schools uses a backend of their database located on their school server and a frontend located on their computer that gets copied from their server each time they open the database. Whenever they have database problems, I compact and repair their backend and then check the table relationships. Quite often one or more of the relationship links is missing. Because the links have been broken for a period of time before I hear about their problem and check to find this out, I usually have to remove records from the many side of one table that have no match in the one side before I can reestablish the relationship. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do that would help keep these relationships in place.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Lost Relationships - Access 2002

Post by HansV »

It's unusual for a backend database to develop problems.
Do the schools have flaky network connections? Access is very sensitive to network problems.
Have you turned off Track Name AutoCorrect Info in the General tab of Tools | Options for both the frontends and the backend? Having it turned on is known to cause all kinds of problems.
Best wishes,
Hans

JudyJones
StarLounger

Post by JudyJones »

Track Name AutoCorrect was turned off in the database front ends but when I doublechecked the backend sure enough it had never been turned off. I went to each school server and turned it off and fixed any relationships that had been lost. Hopefully now the database relationships will stay intact. Thanks for the clue as to what to look for.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Let's hope it works! This kind of problem can be a headache to investigate!
Best wishes,
Hans