Open Browser from link

Jezza
5StarLounger

Open Browser from link

Post by Jezza »

I have a PPT presentation that I use whilst teaching a specific module however I want to open an HTML page from that presentation. The problem is I do not want to display the URL or the Menu Bar in the resulting web page...how is this done? Can it be done in Powerpoint as in javascript in a browser window?
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

Leif
Administrator

Re: Open Browser from link

Post by Leif »

Leif

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

That is clever, how about as a link from a slide to open Interweb Explorer
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Perhaps I've misunderstood the requirement, but if you open your default browser before the presentation and hide the address and menu bars then they won't (or shouldn't..) re-appear when you click the link on the slide.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

agibsonsw wrote:Perhaps I've misunderstood the requirement, but if you open your default browser before the presentation and hide the address and menu bars then they won't (or shouldn't..) re-appear when you click the link on the slide.
A good practical solution but I was hoping this could be done in a similar way to HTML pages where you can use javascript to open a browser window without the address bar etc and does not cause you to go back and reset it all
Jerry

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

It should be possible to do this using VBA (and automation); well, maybe for IE(?):

Code: Select all

'Tick Tools/ References - Microsoft Internet Controls from within the VB Editor
Sub UseIE()
    Dim ie As Object
    Dim thePage As Object
    Set ie = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
    With ie
        .Visible = True
        .Navigate "http://www.bbc.co.uk"
        While Not .ReadyState = READYSTATE_COMPLETE
            Sleep 500      'wait 1/2 sec before trying again
        Wend
        .FullScreen = True      '??
    End With
    Set thePage = ie.Document
    'ie.Quit
    Set thePage = Nothing
    Set ie = Nothing
End Sub
The 'FullScreen' option didn't work for me - maybe a security setting? - but this InternetExplorer object has a number of other properties: 'Toolbar, BrowserBar' etc.

But this automation might be too slow, flakey, during a presentation. Just an idea :grin:

Added: .. you would need the following declaration to appear before the above procedure:

'Declare Sleep API
Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal nMilliseconds As Long)
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

.. setting FullScreen to true before navigating to the page works :cheers:

Set ie = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
    ie.FullScreen = True

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

.. or perhaps much easier :smile: is to create a hyperlink to ie using a command-line argument:

iexplore.exe -k http://www.thepage.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

where -k instructs to open in full screen mode. Regards, Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Sorry, but I'm on a mission now :grin:

I added an 'Action Button', selected 'Run Program' and entered the following in the box:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -k http://www.bbc.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amend the path to ie, but this opens the link in full screen (no address, menu or toolbars).

I'm happy now :smile: Andy.

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

agibsonsw wrote:Sorry, but I'm on a mission now :grin:

I added an 'Action Button', selected 'Run Program' and entered the following in the box:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -k http://www.bbc.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amend the path to ie, but this opens the link in full screen (no address, menu or toolbars).

I'm happy now :smile: Andy.
I like this one....hadn't even thought of action buttons, thank you
Jerry