Powerpoint 2000-Manually Selecting Data

theresaC
StarLounger

Powerpoint 2000-Manually Selecting Data

Post by theresaC »

Sorry to have entered this as a new request but I had already replied to the answer received last night and I didn't know how to send a second reply without having it directed to myself.

Anyway...

It was pretty late in the evening when I started reviewing the Dynamic PowerPoint information so it was a bit much to grasp. I'll look it over again this morning but I started thinking about the "Dynamic link to Excel" question that came before mine. At the time, I had no idea what that was all about but now I'm wondering if that might work for some of the games I had in mind to play with the kids. I couldn't set them all up this way but at least it's something that I can start with.

I did a little test by linking the first column of answsers into the powerpoint. In the case of the 5 Great Lakes, cells A1-A5.
After the link was made, I then cut the answers out of A1-A5 and moved them into B1-B5, which is not linked. To see what this was all about, I minimized both pwrpt and excel so I could see them at the same time and starting with B3, I grabbed the cell handle and moved back over to A3. I was excited to "see" that it was instantaneous and equally excited to see that this might just work for some of the questions.

Q1: What I couldn't "see" because I don't have two monitors at this time, when I make the move from "B3" to "A3" in slide show mode, will it work the same way or does the change have to be made while in design view? I would like to think that it should work the same way but I wouldn't want to move forward with this project on an assumption.

Q2: If I do get the money for an upgrade, which I don't see in the near future, which version would you recommend for this type of "Game Show" application. I would like to have something with the hyperlinks and action buttons at least semi-automatic!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Powerpoint 2000-Manually Selecting Data

Post by HansV »

If you click "Quick Reply" or "POSTREPLY" at the bottom of a thread, you reply to the thread in general, not to the author of a post in particular.
x674.png
I'm not sure that links to Excel will be updated during a slideshow (they are when you are designing the sheets, and when you open the presentation), and moreover, I fear it would be cumbersome to have to manipulate your presentation "live" from Excel.

If you do get money for a new version, I'd get the latest one: PowerPoint 2010. You might check if there are educational discounts for Microsoft products where you live. In the USA for example, Microsoft Office Professional Academic is available for $99.95 if you have a .edu e-mail address.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

theresaC
StarLounger

Post by theresaC »

I wish I were a student! $99 is a LONG way from $999!

Would this type of application be built into 2010 or would it require a lot of manipulation on my part. I was pretty excited about the simple "paste special" feature but I'm back to square one if it won't update in slide view. : - (

Where is that money tree when you need it? lol

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It'll still be a lot of work in PowerPoint 2010, but it has more features that let you control how elements of a slide appear. For example, it has "triggers": you can specify that a text box appears when you click a button etc. And, if you have two screens, you can display the slideshow on one and controls for the presenter on the other.
Best wishes,
Hans

theresaC
StarLounger

Post by theresaC »

Thank you for all of your support. I'll continue to work on it.

I wish I knew for sure if I could use the dynamic link in excel because that's SO simple. If anyone has two monitors and wouldn't mind a quick test, I'd sure appreciate it.
Series 1_Geography.xls
Name the Five Great Lakes.ppt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't have two monitors, but you might try switching back and forth between PowerPoint and Excel using Alt+Tab, and see what happens if you add an entry in A3:A6 in the Excel sheet.
Best wishes,
Hans