Play .flv video

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Play .flv video

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. PowerPoint 2007.
I can play a .swf flash video on a slide by adding the Shockwave Flash object and setting the Movie property to the file's location.
How can I play a .flv file in a similar way?
The Shockwave player won't run it. I've got a GOM player which can play .flv files, but if I add it as a control and try to set a URL to
my video it doesn't work/crashes.

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Play .flv video

Post by HansV »

The VideoLAN - VLC media player comes with an ActiveX control that can play .flv, but it would have to be installed on every PC where you would want to run the video.

It's probably safer to convert the .flv file to .swf. If oyu search Google you'll find many FLV to SWF converters, some of them free.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks.
I'm trying to associate the VLC player with .wav files, which play fine in Windows Media Player but are cut short in VLC.
Has anyone come across this before? Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

According to Wav sound ends before the file is finished this is a known problem without a solution. :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Shame I can't use the same media player for all media, but never mind. Ta, Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I tried to add the VLC control to a slide but it immediately crashed PowerPoint. Think I'll give up and just use .swf files with Shockwave. Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I managed to run an .mp4 file in powerpoint using the Quick Time player control, so I guess I'm making progress.
I believe HTML5 will introduce yet another format - .ogg. I wonder what I'll need to play that?
Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

But do you have a pressing need to play .ogg files?
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

No. I was just speculating.
Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I've only encountered the .ogg format up to now in computer games, so I don't think it'll become essential for PowerPoint presentations in the near future (except if you're creating a presentation about computer games, perhaps :grin:)
Best wishes,
Hans

yellyne
NewLounger

Post by yellyne »

Gom player video problem? There are some Video files that Gom player will not play. I get this message gom player has encountered a problem and needs to close. Anything will work on vlc but not Gom. What could be the problem?