Charts and Excel 2007

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Charts and Excel 2007

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. PowerPoint 2007.

There is an option to 'Save As Default Chart' in the Chart Type dialog. If I save as the default, how is this default then used for a new chart?

When I first create a chart PowerPoint creates sample data in Excel. Where is this Excel data saved? And how do I link the chart to my existing
Excel data?

Thanks for any guidance, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Charts and Excel 2007

Post by HansV »

If you click the little arrow in the lower right corner of the Charts group in the Insert tab of the ribbon, the Insert Chart dialog will be displayed.
In a new installation of Excel, the first chart type in the first row (Clustered Column) will be selected. If you select another chart type/subtype and click Set As Default Chart, that subtype will be selected when you open the Insert Chart dialog in the future. So if the type you use most is a line chart with markers, you can set that type to be selected by default.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you start a chart in PowerPoint, Excel will be started with a new worksheet with some data. This worksheet will be saved in the PowerPoint presentation. However, you can open an existing workbook there, or switch to a workbook that was already open. If you click on the chart in PowerPoint and activate the Design tab of the ribbon, you can click Select Data to select another range for the chart, and this can be on one of the other open workbooks.

Alternatively, you can copy a chart in Excel and paste or paste special with the paste link option into PowerPoint.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
The Set As Default option seems pretty pointless. It doesn't remember customized formatting of a chart as it used to.

Clicking Select Data in PowerPoint works fine but if I click Edit Data (by mistake?!) it shows the original sample data. I suppose this is a feature.
Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

agibsonsw wrote:Clicking Select Data in PowerPoint works fine but if I click Edit Data (by mistake?!) it shows the original sample data. I suppose this is a feature.
Seems more like a bug to me... :blackteeth:
Best wishes,
Hans