Grouping a table 2007

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Grouping a table 2007

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. PowerPoint 2007.

Is it possible to group a table and a shape? I want the table to sit neatly in front of a shape.

Is there an option for a picture to sit 'in line with text'? I want to insert a picture into a table cell.

Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Grouping a table 2007

Post by HansV »

Normally, you can't group a table and a shape. However, you can ungroup the table, which will convert it to a group of PowerPoint shapes (one shape for each cell). You can then group the cell shapes with any other shape. For example, you could group a cell with a picture.

PowerPoint does not support inline pictures. You could create a table with inline pictures in Word and use Paste Special to paste it as a Word object or as a picture into a slide.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello and thank you.
I've a table in PowerPoint but the Grouping/ Ungrouping option is not available? Ta, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry, I was using PowerPoint 2003 when I replied. I now see that it has been disabled in PowerPoint 2007. There's a workaround, but you'll lose some of the formatting:
- Select the table.
- Cut it to the clipboard (Ctrl+X).
- Click Paste > Paste Special...
- Scroll down the list of formats and select "Picture (Enhanced Metafile)".
- Click OK.

Your table is now a shape that can be grouped with other shapes, and that can be ungrouped if you wish (resulting in separate objects for the cells and for the text).
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi.
Thank you. I also discovered that I could use shift and click to temporarily group the table and shape and right-click to obtain 'save as picture'.
This seems similar to your method above but, of course, your method is quicker!
Andy.