Color Typewriter no longer in PowerPoint 2010 onwards?

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Color Typewriter no longer in PowerPoint 2010 onwards?

Post by Diana van den Berg »

I cannot believe that Color Typewriter in Animation has been ditched from 2010 onwards. Is this true?

In a slide I can do a McGyver and copy and paste an existing text box with Color Typewriter animation and then edit the copy.

For a new PowerPoint file I can do another McGyver (I presume - haven't tried it yet) by copying a file that has it and editing accordingly - but there seems there is no way of creating it anew - YET having done this, Color Typewriter appears as THE option in the top row of Entrance boxes, but it simply isn't there to choose on any other text box. Nor is it in the list of "extra" Entrance animations.

PLEASE tell me there is a way of adding it. I tried that by right-clicking on the box at the top - it gave the option to add the Gallery to the Quick Access Toolbar and again, Color Typewriter is available only on EXISTING (pre-created) text boxes, but not on new ones.

Any successful help will be rewarded with either a mug of beer icon or a slab of chocolate icon or both, depending on the related request. :yep:

Any unsuccessful help will be rewarded with same anyway. :yep:

HansV
Administrator

Re: Color Typewriter no longer in PowerPoint 2010 onwards?

Post by HansV »

You are correct that Microsoft removed Color Typewriter from PowerPoint 2010 (and later), along with a bunch of other animations.
PowerPoint MVP John Wilson has created a free add-in that restores these animations: Stretch and Collapse Animations 2010. It is for PowerPoint 2010, but I assume it'll work in later versions too.
Best wishes,
Hans

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Post by Diana van den Berg »

HansV wrote:You are correct that Microsoft removed Color Typewriter from PowerPoint 2010 (and later), along with a bunch of other animations.
PowerPoint MVP John Wilson has created a free add-in that restores these animations: Stretch and Collapse Animations 2010. It is for PowerPoint 2010, but I assume it'll work in later versions too.
I didn't think EVEN HANS AND/OR EILEEN'S LOUNGE could solve this, but I am giggling happily at oh how wrong I was! You are like my son. If he can't fix something, it isn't fixable. However, I really thought that this was REALLY, REALLY NOT FIXABLE, but there was Hans and Eileen's Lounge to the rescue again!!!

I didn't read the John Wilson's message first so I downloaded it and installed it without seeing that PowerPoint must be closed and the macros set to Disable WITH notification and so it didn't work, so I read the message properly and redid it properly and hey presto, there it was.

At first I thought it didn't work as well as the original. However, that was because I changed the default settings to what I normally use. It took some fiddling (I like it mostly on Color Typewriter animation by letter, and I got it to work. The trick is to use it on 50% delay between letters with a timing of Very Fast. Then it works exactly as I want it. As the timing is much slower with the add-on, Very Fast works pretty much like Medium, and that is probably perfectly acceptable for anything I will use it for.

As you like beer, chocolate and chocolate flavoured beer (I don't know how many icons I am allowed in one post, so I will try to be conservative): :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thank you!
Best wishes,
Hans