Do PowerPoint presentations have styles?

jmt356
SilverLounger

Do PowerPoint presentations have styles?

Post by jmt356 »

Do PowerPoint presentations have styles, such as Heading 1, Heading 2, Title, Sub-Title, Level 1, Level 2, etc.? If so, where do I find them?

In the Home tab, the only relevant settings I find are font and font size. I don't see a section for Styles like I do in Word.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Do PowerPoint presentations have styles?

Post by StuartR »

The equivalent in PowerPoint is a Slide Master, which defines font size and style for each level of indent (as well as what placeholders exist on the slide). You can have many different Slide Masters within a presentation, and assign these to individual slides.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I agree with Stuart.

There are no "styles" as one would think of in Word, but as Stuart mentions, when you set up each level of of bullet with a font and size (as well as the title), each slide you add (based on its underlying master) will use the level of font formatting as in the master.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I am trying to create a heading within my slide. I do not want the heading to have a bullet. The best I am able to achieve is to press Backspace, which deletes the bullet, but does not align the text to the left. The text remains indented, as though there is a hidden bullet.

Is it possible to create a style such as a header that does not have bullets and to then allow all sublevels beneath the header to have bullets and sub-bullets?
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

In the slide master, remove the bullet from the first level and format as a title for the slide
The second level bullet can then become the "first" level point...and so on...

When you add text to your presentation, your first bit of text you enter will become the title text. After that, press enter and then use the increase indent button to demote the text to level two, which will create the "first" level points...
Image 011.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In addition to Rudi's reply, remove the bullet by clicking the Bullets button on the Home tab of the ribbon, not by pressing Backspace.
S1644.png
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have a PowerPoint template that has no bullet on Level 1, with a BOLD font. All other levels use bullets. It works well for me...
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

How do I get into Slide Master to edit the levels?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Activate the View tab of the ribbon.
Click 'Slide Master' in the 'Master Views' group.
S1649.png
Select the slide at the very top: this is the 'Office Theme Slide Master' from which all others are derived.
S1650.png
The 'Slide Master' tab of the ribbon has a 'Close Master View' button for when you're finished. Alternatively, click the Normal button in the status bar.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Another way to get to the slide master quickly is to hold down SHIFT and click the "Normal" view button on the status bar.
Make sure (as Hans mentions) to then select the "main" master -- the very top slide in the tree on the left to ensure you edit this slide and not one of the layout masters (unless you specifically intend to edit the layout.)
Image 020.jpg
Regards,
Rudi

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

I find it much easier to use the keyboard for entering and exiting the Slide Master screens:

ALT-W-M gets to the slide master for the current slide. Another ALT-W-M goes to the master slide for the entire presentation. This is where all the background items are entered, e.g. slide numbers, headers, footers, background graphics, etc.

I use the double ALT-W-M combo often to update footers and total slide count (which has to be done manually as PowerPoint has no facility for automatically updating total slides).

After all changes are made, a simple ALT-M-C closes out of the master slides and back to the normal view.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL