Wav files in Slide Presentations

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Wav files in Slide Presentations

Post by hlewton »

I have been trying to get a wav file to fade out at the end of the slides it is supposed to be playing on. I have tried "trimming" the wav file and that seems to only work if it is associated with just 1 slide. I have tried different settings with the transition but the only one I found that will advance the slides at the interval I want seems to be "play across slides," "automatic does not seem to work. The "play across slides" setting does not allow the trimming of the audio file to work. The wav file I need to use is about 2 minutes longer than the number of slides it needs to play for. Is there a way to make that wav file play from the slide I choose, advance the slides at the time interval I choose, and fade out before it has to end abruptly in the middle of the wav file at the specified end slide? If so I sure can't find it.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Wav files in Slide Presentations

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

The fade option AFAIK only works at the end of the clip. You cannot use fade in the middle of the clip. If you know the duration of the slide show (the sum of all the timings), you will need to first trim the clip to be the same duration as the sum duration of all your slides, and then you can add fade to that edited clip. The sound file can then be added to the first slide and played across all slides so that its duration is timed to the ending of your slide show.

You can custom edit the .wav to play across the slides you need by accessing the dialog from the Animation Pane...
SC7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Rudi. I actually tried what you suggested but possibly I did something wrong. I times the slides and they were 3 minutes and 23 seconds so I trimmed the audio file to what the trimming dialog box said was 3 minutes and 23 seconds but it just kept playing even after it reached that time. I also tried using the animation pane like you show. Obviously I am doing something wrong because I thought I was doing exactly as you say to do, I even used a stop watch so I knew what the time frame was. I can certainly try it again but just to be clear, after I trim the wav file I do not have any option to save that new length file under another name. If I click on the play button in the trim box it plays for the time I set so I have no idea why it doesn't work in the actual presentation but it also keeps repeating it until I hit the pause bitton. Am I supposed to have a way to save that trimmed file as another wav file of my specified length?
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Do you have a third party audio editor (like Audacity) to trim the wav file to the length you require? It might be easier to edit the clip and then insert it into the presentation afterwards.
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I don't but I'll give your link a try. Thank you very much.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

In Microsoft Movie Maker after I insert and audio clip I can use their “End Point” option under music tools to see exactly which slide that clip will end on. I have found no such option in PowerPoint so I have tried timing the clip and dividing that time by the time it takes for each slide’s transition plus time before the next slide is visible. This can become time consuming in bigger presentations. My question is does PowerPoint have any option similar to what I described for Movie Maker as far as finding where and which slide this particular audio clip will end and if so where if that option?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Not as far as I know, but I'm not a PowerPoint expert, so I'd wait to see if someone else knows.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK Thanks Hans. If it is there I sure can't find it. It is a nice feature though in Movie Maker.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I agree with Hans that there is no feature like this in PPT.
Either you must make the audio clip a prescribed length, and adjust your transition (and animation) to match this length, or you must force the clip to play across a prescribed amount of slides with the option to loop the clip until the end point.
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Rudi. Actually that is almost exactly what I have been doing. I play the wav or other audio file and see what its length is. Then divide it by the length the slide is on the screen plus the time it takes to transition and have been coming out very close to where I need to insert another audio file. I then tell it to play across that number of slides. I may miss it by half a slide but that is OK. It would be a great addition to PP if MS would program PP so it was able to work like their Movie Maker software. I was a bit concerned about whether Movie Maker would work when I upgrade to Win 10 but from what I have read, even though apparently MS doesn't support it, it will work in Win 10.
Regards,
hlewton