PowerPoint 2010 Maxium Number Of Slides

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: PowerPoint 2010 Maxium Number Of Slides

Post by hlewton »

Well mystery solved as far as the audio file missing lyrics. I knew this one had to be something I did wrong because I just couldn't see the same steps resulting in the difference I was seeing. Also, if at all possible, I do like answers even if they point to my screw ups which is the case here. I mentioned I am extracting sound clips from pps files I have had for a long time. There are a few whose file names are very close to being the same. I extracted the wav file from one such of these pps files but was expecting the music to be as it was in another pps file. I had to go back and sort all those pps files by name to find this but that is what I did wrong. Still frustrated but no so much so now that I know I caused this problem. Sorry for all the confusion on my part and thanks for the help. Still I have no idea why I am not seeing the speaker as Rudi mentions in his posts cause that would make things a lot easier if it was there.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Glad you found the cause!
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

Just some other options I was thinking about that you could try....since the sound MUST be somewhere in the presentation.

First, the sound icon could have been moved OFF the slide. if you scroll up or down slightly, you might be able to see it?? (See image 1 below)
Second, you might be able to access it no matter where the sound is by going to the Select button on the Home tab and selecting Selection Pane. In image 2 below, you will see the sound file as indicated even if you cannot see a speaker icon.
Third, you are correct in saying that there might not be a sound icon. The icon is simply displayed for sounds attached to a slide. The sound in your case could be inserted on the Transition of one slide to another. If you access the Transition Tab you could see if something is selected on transition sound (image 3). In this case, you will need to do the save as HTML option to salvage that.
Sound1.jpg
Sound2.jpg
Sound3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Rudi.

1. Scrolling even just one click advances to the next slide so I see no speaker icon.
2. I used the select and Selection Pane and 4 things showed up none of which I believe are audio files. I highlighted each one and the playback for audio files never became active. See attachment called Select.
3. Yes it is there when I checked Transition. I didn’t have any luck creating the HTML file, as mentioned above a few posts ago, but I have managed to extract the sound files by saving the pps as a pptx file, renaming it to a zip file then extracting the files by unzipping it. That has worked for me in every case.

Let me ask this; since it did show up, as you mentioned, on the transition tab did they get it to play on all slides by clicking the apply to all on that tab? I see no “across all slides” option with it being in the pps that way.
Select.jpg
Also I have tried experimenting by not only adding sound but transitions from one slide to another. Seems PP is very limited in what it offers. Searching Google for transition downloads for PP I did find some sites but wanted to first ask if there is one in particular that anyone here would recommend for more options in choosing a transition? Also are there any known problems associated in doing this as far as causing problems in PP?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

The Apply to all slides is only for the actual transition effect and for the timings for the transition. The sound is not copied across the slides like the other transition effects are. If you set a sound in the slide transition for a certain slide, but that sound or song is 3 minutes for example, the sound/song will continue playing across the slides until it ends, unless you cancel it by selecting Stop Previous Sound as the sound for any of the subsequent slides.

PowerPoint ships out with a set amount of transitions. If you want to add more, you need to download them from sites that make them available. I have never personally done this, so I cannot advise how to go about it or what is the best resources for transitions.

Transitions are a built in part of PowerPoint, so there should be no problems associated by playing sounds in transitions...though I'd not do it. Sound can be a very monotonous and disruptive feature during transitions.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Go lightly on the transitions - I'd either use none at all, or a single, simple transition type for all slides. If you apply different and/or complicated transitions, it will distract the viewers - they'll pay more attention to the transitions than to the content of the slides.

The transitions that come with PowerPoint should be sufficient for almost all purposes.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks to both you guys.

Possibly I was not saying things as I should have. I did not plan on changing transitions within any single presentation. Once I pick one it would be for the entire presentation. I was just looking for some different choices because PP's seemed limited to me. Not having even played around with this type of PP presentations before I guess the learning curve is still in affect and I appreciate the help.

As far as the sound playing I would have to check the pps I got the sound clips from but I know right now they are nowhere near as long as the ones I have created. I did see that my sound ran out long before the presentation was finished but managed to correct that by choosing the "loop until stopped" option. That worked well for me but I am still not certain how the pps files I extracted the sound clips from managed to play across the entire presentation unless the presentation was shorter than the sound clip's time duration. However, that only makes sense to me if the slides advance on a timer but many of the pps files I used only advanced the slides on a mouse click or page down button. But I guess it doesn't matter since I have gotten my presentations to work as I wanted them to.

Thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I have not found an answer to this and I'm not sure it is possible. I have been creating *.ppsx files and hyperlinking one ppsx file to another ppsx file. I have not found a way to have the first file close once the hyperlink has been clicked to go to the next ppsx presentation. Is it possible to make the first ppsx file close when leaving it? If so how?

My concern is once I finish all the presentations I am creating I will be able to open the first and then advance to 9 other presentations by the included hyperlinks. The way it is working now is once I go to other presentations I have to hit the "esc" key as many times to exit PP as there are presentations open. I fear running out of resources to run these files if 10 presentations have been opened by hyperlinks. Not sure if that is a valid concern or not because I don't have all the presentations created yet so I figured if there is a way to close the files then now is the time to do so as they are being created.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try this idea: Link to other presentations and return to the original presentation.
You'd create a "menu" presentation with links to the other presentations.
Use the Hyperlink to > End Show action, as described in the article, in those other presentations to close them and return to the menu.
S0398.png
S0399.png
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans but that just doesn't work for what I was hoping for. I have a series of different ski vacations and one can start at any year they want and then only advance to the next year from there. I don't want to also create a link to the previous year so I was hoping as they advance through the presentations the one they were coming from could close automatically. I have searched the WEB and could find nothing to tell me how to do that. If I were a betting man I'd say it would take a macro to do what I want and that isn't going to happen. LOL

Anyway I'm not sure my concerns are valid since I did finish the presentations and was able to advance through all of them without a problem. Not sure if that is because I have 8 gig of RAM or not. I am making copies of these for friends who accompanied us on these trips and have no idea what resources they have so I am still a little concerned. If they do get hung up I'll just tell them to start and another year to finish seeing all the photos. The total size of these presentations combined is 626 MB so there probably isn't any problem to begin with other than having to hit the escape key so often to close all the presentations.

Thanks for the help.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

In a presentation that has 176 slides I have inserted 4 to 5 different audio clips. I have clicked the beginning and ending slide for each audio clip and the chose the audio playback options of “Play across slides,” “hide during playback,” and “loop until stopped.” This works as I want it to if I create a “pps” format presentation. However, I don’t have as many options of transitions in that format as I do in a “ppsx” format so I wouild like to use the “ppsx” format. However, the presentation even though exactly the same as the “pps” plays one audio over top of another in the “ppsx” format. I can’t seem to get the first audio to stop playing once the second one starts. I do believe I need the “loop until stopped” option checked because the way the presentation is broken into logical sections the audio clip often runs out before the last slide is reached. How can I make a “ppsx” presentation stop one audio clip once a new one starts like it works in a “pps” file?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I believe I found the solution and it sure was not at all intuitive, at least for me. To stop one "wav" file and start another at that point animations had to be used.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for sharing the solution.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

No problem perhaps I should give the remaining steps. Once in Animations you open up the Animation pane. Then click on the drop down arrow and choose Effect Options. Then on the Effect Tab under Stop Playing choose “After” and put the number of slides you want that particular wav file to play on.

You then repeat the entire procedure for all the other wav files you insert into the presentation. It is tedious but it does work well once it is done.

There may be easier ways but I sure didn't find any.

Edited because I just found the link to the video that helped me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcfrda_45Rs
Regards,
hlewton