PowerPoint 2010 Maxium Number Of Slides

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: PowerPoint 2010 Maxium Number Of Slides

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both. I am turning on the computer with that file now and will give these suggestions a try.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK I have tried both suggestions and apparently I am not doing something correctly. Nor sure what tab I need to be on in Rudi's steps but I tried it on the Insert tab, which seems to be the only one where the Audio icon is available, and I was not given the options shown in the attachment.

I renamed the file to a ppt file opened it and tried to save it as an HTML file but that too was not an available option. I tried it in both PPT 2010 and 2013 so I am not sure what is going on. I even tried saving it by manually typing the ending as and .HTML but that too didn't work. Said something about compatibility with Office 1997-2003 being an issue.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Simply changing the extension to .html won't work.

Rudi meant right-clicking the audio (loudspeaker) icon on the slide itself, not on the ribbon - as is clearly shown in his screenshot.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Simply changing the extension to .html won't work.

Rudi meant right-clicking the audio (loudspeaker) icon on the slide itself, not on the ribbon - as is clearly shown in his screenshot.
Yeah I saw that and thought that was the case but I chose three different slides and no icon appeared.

So am I supposed to have the option to save as an HTML file within PP? I don't seem to be offered that choice.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm sorry. Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, has removed the ability to save as HTML from the Save As dialog. I didn't know that: I don't save presentations as HTML very often...

It's still possible to do so from the Visual Basic Editor - see The options to save a presentation as a webpage are not available in the Save As dialog box in PowerPoint 2010.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Ha.... I came out to that same link.

I discovered this in PPT 2013 and thought it was just this version. But I now see too that it was removed from PPT 2010 :hairout:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I believe I followed the steps correctly and I did manage to get a file saved as an *.htm. I copied the line changing the path to match my machine but it only created the file with the htm extension. There were no other files created in the folder where the file was "saved as." Still not sure why it wasn't saved as an HTML as I believe the line placed in the "immediate" box states. Anyway here is the command that worked for me but didn't create an HTML file or any audio files either. "ActivePresentation.SaveAs "C:\test\Fotos especialesVIII.htm", ppSaveAsHTML, msoFalse" There were no quotes when using this command.

Before posting my question about this I did search the WEB to see how to do this and I only found the suggestion to rename the file to a ZIP file but that didn't work and I really didn't think it would.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A .pps / .ppt file is a PowerPoint 97-2003 file, not a PowerPoint 2007-2013 file, so it is not a zip file.
Try saving the .ppt file as .pptx from PowerPoint (do NOT change the extension of the .ppt in Windows!!!)
Then, in Windows Explorer, change the extension from .pptx to .zip.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Hans that worked. Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I have used the zip method above to extract more wav files from other presentations I have. All was well until I extracted a wav file that had lyrics in it as it played in the presentation but once extracted it only had the music and no words. Is this what is supposed to happen?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Were there other audio files in the zip file?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Not that I could find. I looked for them thinking maybe it was the wrong file but the melody was correct.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I cannot imagine that only part of the audio file would be stored. Perhaps you used a linked audio file? That wouldn't be stored in the presentation itself.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Just out of interest, have you been seeing any "speaker" icons in your other PPT's?
If you do, just be a ware that you can simply right click on it and choose Save Media As...
It's much less effort than scripting the VBA to save as html and then collecting the files from Explorer!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:I cannot imagine that only part of the audio file would be stored. Perhaps you used a linked audio file? That wouldn't be stored in the presentation itself.
Hans I am running into a few strange things happening in my quest to put music to my presentations and this is only one of them. I managed to work out one very strange occurrence where after I attached music to my presentation it started all over with each slide. I had made one presentation work properly so I compared what the difference was in the settings and even though I made the necessary changes I still could not get the music to play continually instead of starting over with each slide. I finally deleted that presentation, started over selecting the exact same setting as I had in the deleted presentations and it worked as it should.

Anyway back on this subject: I have checked every folder that the zip extraction created and the only audio file the extraction created is the one with out lyrics, there are no others. I don't know exactly what you mean by maybe I used a linked audio file but what I did was insert that extraction created file into my presentation and it played fine except it only played the music, no lyrics. Does that eliminate the possibility of me using a linked audio file because I honestly don't know what that means but I would think I used an embedded audio file the way I inserted it.

I'll delete the entire extracted folders which were created, make another pptx file, then rename it to a zip file and extract it again. I'll see if it recreates the audio file as we both think it should and report back but right now I want to reply to Rudi first.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See Embedded and linked sound files in a presentation.
By default, only .wav (waveform audio data) sound files under 100 kilobytes (KB) each in size are embedded in your presentation. All other media file types and .wav files greater than 100 KB are linked.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Just out of interest, have you been seeing any "speaker" icons in your other PPT's?
If you do, just be a ware that you can simply right click on it and choose Save Media As...
It's much less effort than scripting the VBA to save as html and then collecting the files from Explorer!
Rudi I appreciate your interest and help. I want to give just a little explanation first. I cannot find any wav clips on line for free to download and use in my presentations so I am scanning over years of stored pps files I have and choosing the ones with what I consider appropriate music clips to use in my own pps files. That is the reason for all this. I have looked at about 50 files so far and chosen around 8 to 10 of them to try to extract the music from. As I believe you believe it should not be this difficult. I have opened the pps files saved them as pptx files and then reopened them. In every case, including when they were opened as a pps file I can find no speaker on any of the slides. I must have checked over 100 slides so far for that speaker icon and unless I am doing something wrong there are none to be found. My method is to select the slide in the right pane and then look for the speaker. Is this how I should be looking for the speaker?

BTW in my presentations I have created so far that has the music attached there is a speaker I can find in them. These were created in PP 2010 but I have no idea what version of PP the pps files I am scanning were created in if that makes a difference. Maybe there is some setting that will bring the speakers into view but the only thing I have found so far is the ability to hide the speaker during playback.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Hans I did what I said I would do and now I do have the music along with the lyrics. I am so confused I have no idea what the heck I did wrong before but obviously I did screw up somewhere. It still did only create one audio file again but this time it was complete.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

All's well that ends well...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:All's well that ends well...
LOL but frustrating as all get out.
Regards,
hlewton