PowerPoint rendering issue

Rudi
gamma jay

PowerPoint rendering issue

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

Both my wife and I use Office 2013 on our laptops. (She however also has PowerPoint 2010 installed)
The other day she opened a PPT created in PPT 2010 and noticed ion the slide show mode that the WordArt and SmartArt slides did not render correctly in PPT 2013. Opening it in PPT 2010 displayed them fine. I put the PPT on a flash drive and opened it on my laptop and they showed fine in PPT2013. So, does anyone have any ideas what the problem is? Is it a PPT display setting that I can adjust? Is it a windows graphics issue (though the slides show fine on PPT 2010 on her PC). Any troubleshooting steps that one can take to try resolve this in PPT 2013.

Below is an image of two slides from her PPT.
The top row is screenshots of her laptop whilst in Slideshow mode; the bottom row is the same slides on my laptop in slideshow mode.

TX
PS: Since discovering this, she has noted a second presentation doing the same thing in PPT 2013 on her laptop?!
1e-tile.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: PowerPoint rendering issue

Post by HansV »

Did your wife install PowerPoint 2010 after PowerPoint 2013?

If so, it'd be best to uninstall both versions of Office, then reinstall 2010 first, and only then 2013.

Otherwise, the only explanation I can come up with is that there is some kind of conflict between the SmartArt engines of Office 2010 and 2013. Since you only have 2013 on your laptop, you don't suffer from this conflict.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX.

Office 2010 was originally on her PC and we installed Office 2013 earlier this year. So this would not be the issue.

Regarding the conflict between the SmartArt engines of the two versions...I'll need to test this more thoroughly. If needed, she can get her company to re-install the two versions and see if that resolves it. She needs both as she sometimes does basic training on both versions of PPT.

You are not aware of settings in PPT that control graphic displays that I can adjust? Or if windows graphics could be tweaked?

TX
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

She might try the following in PowerPoint:

- Select File, then click Options.
- Click Advanced in the navigation pane on the left hand side.
- Scroll down to the Display section.
- Tick the check boxes "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" and "Disable Slide Show hardware graphics acceleration".
- Click OK.

If that doesn't help, she can clear the check boxes again.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX, I'll give that a try.
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

It worked...

Disabling the hardware graphics acceleration and Slide Show hardware graphics acceleration showed the smartart correctly.
Further investigation revealed that smartart slides in more recent presentations display fine without disabling the above. It seems that these two which had the issue were older PPT's. Not sure why it did this and what the underlying factor was, but at least we have a solution and she does not need to redesign the problematic slides.

TX for the pointer. Issue resolved
My wife said I must send you a :chocciebar: and a bottle of :wine: ...
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gratefully accepted - please thank your wife from me!
Best wishes,
Hans