Jump to another slide and come back during animation?

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Jump to another slide and come back during animation?

Post by New Daddy »

Here is what I'd like to achieve:

I have a slide with four bullet points, which will appear on the screen one by one through animation. After the second bullet point, I'd like to bring up another slide (with lots of pictures) to illustrate my second bullet point better. After that picture slide, I'd like to come back to the bullet-point slide and resume. Is there an easy way to do this?

What I do is the following: I create a bullet point slide with the first two bullets and another bullet-point slides with all four bullets, and sandwich the picture slide in the middle. In the second bullet-point slide with all 4 bullet points, I start the animation not from the beginning but from the third bullet point. The audience will feel like I'm coming back to the bullet point slide to resume, but in actuality, I'm moving on to a different slide with more bullet points.

The problem with my method is that (1) it's cumbersome because you have to duplicate the bullet point slide, and (2) when the powerpoint file is distributed, the readers will see two slides of the same bullet points (although the first will have only two bullet points and the second all four), which can be confusing. So, I'd like to find a better way to do this, where hopefully I don't have to duplicate the bullet-point slide to accommodate a little detour to the picture slide.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Jump to another slide and come back during animation?

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

I think your method will work great if you combine it with some interactive animation effects. I originally thought of using an action button but that would be a bit disruptive since it is action you want in the middle of an existing bullet list.

The attached demo I created with your idea in mind but i added some simple entrance and exit animation to try and smooth out the break between the two points and the images, and then the re-entrance of the text again. I think it works quite well....

In essence:
1. Introduce the two bullet points
2. Exit the two bullet points and bring in the images
3. Bring in the two bullet points again in one go and then mouse click for the next two.

On thinking about it, one *could* have probably done this all on ONE slide just using a well timed array of entrance and exit animation for all the items.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

Rudi wrote:Hi,

I think your method will work great if you combine it with some interactive animation effects. I originally thought of using an action button but that would be a bit disruptive since it is action you want in the middle of an existing bullet list.

The attached demo I created with your idea in mind but i added some simple entrance and exit animation to try and smooth out the break between the two points and the images, and then the re-entrance of the text again. I think it works quite well....

In essence:
1. Introduce the two bullet points
2. Exit the two bullet points and bring in the images
3. Bring in the two bullet points again in one go and then mouse click for the next two.

On thinking about it, one *could* have probably done this all on ONE slide just using a well timed array of entrance and exit animation for all the items.
That is a very nice illustration of what I had in mind.
So, in order to preserve this visual continuity, slide #2 and #4 will both have to be included in the handout? I wonder if MS will ever build a "jump" routine in an animation where the effect is to jump to another slide (#3) and return (to #2).

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you would return from slide #3 to slide #2, the animation would start over again by introducing the first bullet point, so it wouldn't do what you want.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Another alternative is to use Custom Shows (triggered by an action button).
So, in other words, bring in point 1, and point 2
Click an action button on the slide that triggers a custom show with the slide(s) with images
When the custom show exits and you are back on your current bullet slide, continue with the animation to bring in point 3 and 4.

The slides run by the custom show can be hidden in the master presentation. Since they are hidden, they will not reflect on your handouts (if you select the option to NOT print hidden slides).
Regards,
Rudi

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:If you would return from slide #3 to slide #2, the animation would start over again by introducing the first bullet point, so it wouldn't do what you want.
I understand that. What I'm envisaging is for Powerpoint to perform "jumping to another slide and come back" as just another routine in the animation. In the animation sequence, you see the numbered items in the order they appear. Why not let another slide, rather than an element in the same slide, take a number and be part of the animation? That's what I'm envisaging, if I could re-design Powerpoint.

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

Rudi wrote:Another alternative is to use Custom Shows (triggered by an action button).
So, in other words, bring in point 1, and point 2
Click an action button on the slide that triggers a custom show with the slide(s) with images
When the custom show exits and you are back on your current bullet slide, continue with the animation to bring in point 3 and 4.

The slides run by the custom show can be hidden in the master presentation. Since they are hidden, they will not reflect on your handouts (if you select the option to NOT print hidden slides).
That sounds like exactly what I want. Unfortunately "custom shows" is a totally foreign concept to me. (My proficiency in Powerpoint is far lower than that in Word or Excel.) I'll have to educate myself. Thanks!

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Here is an example of this concept.

After you bring in point #2, click the action button which triggers a custom show (a small slide show housed inside the master slide show)
After viewing the image slide in the custom show, it returns to the current slide and the animation continues from point 2.

The slide with the images is hidden so it will not print with handouts...
Test for New Daddy Custom Show.pptx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

Rudi wrote:Here is an example of this concept.

After you bring in point #2, click the action button which triggers a custom show (a small slide show housed inside the master slide show)
After viewing the image slide in the custom show, it returns to the current slide and the animation continues from point 2.

The slide with the images is hidden so it will not print with handouts...
Test for New Daddy Custom Show.pptx
Thanks! I think this is very close to what I needed! (I hid #4 too, since I don't need it).
#3 can be hidden to avoid double display but can be printed in the handout.
The only small downside to this method is that I have to remember to press the custom action button after the second bullet point, whereas in the other method the sequence was built-in.

I think the custom-action-as-a-sequence-in-animation will solve all problems, and hope MS will make it possible some day.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I'm not sure macro events in PPT that can trigger at the entry of points, but if there is its could maybe solve that issue?

This is fictional but something like:

Code: Select all

Sub BeforeBullet_EntryPoint(Target as Point)
    If Target.Number = 3 then
        ActivePresentation.CustomShow("Images").Show
    End If
End Sub
:whisper: Gosh, if programming could really be as simple as natural language...
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you mean COBOL?

Code: Select all

MULTIPLY Num1 BY Num2 GIVING Result.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

That was before my intro to PC's, but if that was the case, why did they loose that trend?
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It wasn't very efficient...
Best wishes,
Hans