Copyright 'year' only auto updating

Robie
5StarLounger

Copyright 'year' only auto updating

Post by Robie »

Is it possible to add a date functionality in the powerpoint template to update the year automatically? I know I can use the Insert|Date & Time functionality but that doesn't give me an option to display just the year part.

For example, I have template where I have to have a statement to the effect of '© 2012 xxxxxxxxxxxx plc'. It seems I have to keep updating the template every year just to take care of the date update. Same goes for the presentations created by the users.

Any help highly appreciated.
Thanks.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Copyright 'year' only auto updating

Post by HansV »

PowerPoint doesn't appear to have the ability to insert the year only.

I tried inserting the date as dd/mm/yyyy placing a rectangle over the dd/mm/ part in the slide master, but that didn't work.
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:PowerPoint doesn't appear to have the ability to insert the year only.

I tried inserting the date as dd/mm/yyyy placing a rectangle over the dd/mm/ part in the slide master, but that didn't work.
Thanks Hans.
Sad really. I don't understand why but that is Microsoft for you. :sad:

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

I did the same thing as Hans, but not on the slide master. Just looking at the first slide I Inserted the date and then put a box over the month and day, changed the box to white. Then when I need a new slide I right click on the last and choose 'Duplicate slide'. Not clean and easy, but it works.
Who will you Inspire today?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That does indeed work - thanks. But having the shape on each slide is tricky - it's all too easy for the end user to move or delete it...
Best wishes,
Hans

John wilson
Microsoft MVP

Post by John wilson »

Do you need to update the date in the copyright statement? (It should be the date created)

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

John wilson wrote:Do you need to update the date in the copyright statement? (It should be the date created)
Yes. I agree it should be date created but there is no way of specifying 'YEAR' only.

My copyright statement looks like this: "© 2012 xxxxxxx xxxxx plc". I have put it in the title master - unfortunately no way of updating it automatically.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

:scratch: If you set up the copyright statement once with the year the item has been created then surely you would never need to update it? :hairout:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

John Gray wrote::scratch: If you set up the copyright statement once with the year the item has been created then surely you would never need to update it? :hairout:
Surely, you have to as the year changes so that any new presentation and more importantly revision of existing presentation would *now* use this year.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

If you're from the US, this might interest you.

And in the UK, see this, esp. section 4.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...