Digitally signed macros (Excel 2003 SP3)

steveh
SilverLounger

Digitally signed macros (Excel 2003 SP3)

Post by steveh »

Good evening

I know that this was touched upon in another thread but I thought that this was a different enough request to warrant a post.

I am sure that this question has come up a millon times (but not by me).

I have a workbook that has been used internally to record rates, services etc. for a major client, whilst we were being auditted they saw it and said that they would like it to be used at their sites in SWitzerland, Germany, Singapore and the USA.

Whilst this has been used by them in 2003 it has been fine as they have medium macro settings and have clicked to allow them. They have now however downgraded to 2007 and they cannot run the essential parts of the workbook, web queries etc. because it will not allow the macros to work.

I can easily tell them how to accept the macros in 2007 but if they do that I guess it would make any workbooks they download and use possibly vunerable and seeing as they are major, global players and we are small fry I don't think I could ask them to do that.

Reading on the web I don't think a self certificate would be any use and because this is the only workbook in the wild as it were I can't justify asking my line director to authorise the sort of money that Verisign etc. expect.

My question really is in 3 parts.
  • 1. Is there any way around this
    2. If not, can you make an Excel workbook into an EXE or similar (I did Google but got nothing really meaningful)
    3. If I run samll apps downloaded from the web that must have VBA in them I do not get asked the security question, is this the way to go and is there anything free or cheapish and easy, (not a big shopping list then :sad: ) that I could buy for myself to create something like the Excel but as a program.
Thanks for your time if you have had the will to read down this far :grin:
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: Digitally signed macros (Excel 2003 SP3)

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
In 2007 the preferred option is to 'disable all macros with notification'. When they open a file containing macros
they can click the Options button in the notification bar and choose enable this content. This will continue to disable
content for other files they might not trust.
This option is found from the Office button, Excel Options, Trust Centre, Trust Centre Settings, Macro Settings.
(They may have it currently set to disable all macros without notification.) Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The cheapest certificate I could find on a quick search is described here
StuartR

Jan Karel Pieterse
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jan Karel Pieterse »

They could also set up a trusted folder and put your file there.
Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Thanks all for your responses

Stuart, I always thought that I was reasonably good at Googling but time and again you knock my searches into a cocked hat, I am begining to think that you, Leif and Possibly Jezza have a 'special' subscription that returns hidden results :cheers:
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin