advice - Excel VBA book

capri
StarLounger

advice - Excel VBA book

Post by capri »

Hi,

I took a course yesterday that included some Excel VBA. I would like to improve my knowledge and abilities so thought of getting a book to help. We use Office 2003 at work and in the next year or two will be moving to office 2010.

I went looking for books at lunch but the local stores only have 2007 and 2010 books. The instructor in the course said that there were some changes and that moving to 2007/2010 some VBA features would not work.

I would presume I can still get 2003 books online. Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should look for? If I got a 2010 VBA book, would I still be able to figure out how to do the majority of steps/processes or is there such a great difference? If I should get a 2003 book, is the "For Dummies" the best way to go or is there a better book? At this point I am not looking for a Que type book but rather one that is practical and can improve my skills.

Something along the lines of "Pivot Table Data Crunching" by Bill Jelen or "The Excel Analyst's Guide to Access" by Michael Alexander both very helpful books.

Thanks for any suggestions.

capri

Jan Karel Pieterse
Microsoft MVP

Re: advice - Excel VBA book

Post by Jan Karel Pieterse »

I rather like the step-by-step series by Microsoft. The Dummies book is quite good as well.
Don't worry too much on the book's version, VBA hasn't changed much. The 2007/2010 books likely have a chapter on the Ribbon which you'll appreciate once you've upgraded.
Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I agree with Jan Karel - the Step by Step books provide a nice introduction, and the Excel Books by John Walkenbach, among which the Excel ... VBA Programming for Dummies books, are written very well and go into more depth.
Best wishes,
Hans

Joseph
3StarLounger

Post by Joseph »

I bought the John Walkenbach - Excel 2007 Power Programming with VBA, a few months back (I'm newly addicted, and it's painfully obvious.). It has good information, but doesn't go into very much detail a lot of the time. I have 2007 at home and 2003 at work, and so far the only compatibility error's I've encountered, were repairable to work on both versions.

So far the best resource for me, has been THIS website. :clapping:

capri
StarLounger

Post by capri »

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I'll go with a 2010 book. I prefer to look through books in the shop and read a part that explains something I don't know how to do and see if it explains it in such a way that I can easily follow what the author is trying to explain. I've rarely been disappoint with books bought this way.

capri