Name Calculation in 2007

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Name Calculation in 2007

Post by Don Wells »

I do not have Office 2007 installed, but am trying to offer assistance to someone so configured. They have a chart that is not updating on some machines. I do not know whether they are using copies of the same file or are sharing a networked file. For the moment I am assuming that they are copies, or derivatives of copies, as the users are reportedly spread halfway around the world.
    I read here in the MSDN Library, that "Names that are not referred to by any formula are not calculated even by a full calculation.".
  • The Source Data for the Value of the chart series is in the form "='Copy of Test Report Rev 004.xls'!Chart1C1"
  • The Named range Chart1C1 refers to = OFFSET(Chart1,Scroll,1,Zoom,1)
  • Chart1 refers to ='Chart Data'!$A$4
  • Scroll refers to='Chart Data'!$C$32
  • Zoom refers to ='Chart Data'!$C$33
  • Scroll and Zoom are both set scroll bars.
    On the problem machines the scroll bars do change the values of Scroll and Zoom but the chart does not change as a consequence; even when they press the recalc button on the Formulas ribbon.
    I have been unable to reproduce the problem on my 2003 installation.
    Is it possible that the problem would occur in a workbook saved as an xlsx 2007 file as a consequence of Chart1C1 changing but not being referred to by any formula?
    If this is the cause, could it be cured by referring to the named range in a hidden sheet (=Chart1C1), even though it would return an error?
    I have attached a copy of the workbook for your entertainment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Don

BigKev
StarLounger

Re: Name Calculation in 2007

Post by BigKev »

On my Office 2010 system pressing F9 chages the graphs according to the numbers for Scroll and Zoom. I have attached the workbook with a Module added and a Sub called Recalc that recalculates all the Worksheets. I then assigned this macro to the Scroll and Zoom slider controls. Changing the values of the controls now changes the Graphs.

This works for Excel 2010 but there is no reason it shouldn't work under 2007.

Cheers,
Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

Hi Kevin
As I read your post, you were unable to reproduce the problem. Am I correct?
Regards
Don

BigKev
StarLounger

Post by BigKev »

Don Wells wrote:Hi Kevin
Sorry Don,

Yes, the problem existed before my fix. When I clicked the controls the graphs did not update until I pressed F9 to recalculate. As far as I can tell, this was caused by there being no Macro assigned to the controls.

Sorry again if my post was confusing.

Cheers,
Kevin

BigKev
StarLounger

Post by BigKev »

BigKev wrote:
Don Wells wrote:Hi Kevin
Sorry Don,

Yes, the problem existed before my fix. When I clicked the controls the graphs did not update until I pressed F9 to recalculate. As far as I can tell, this was caused by there being no Macro assigned to the controls.

Sorry again if my post was confusing.

Cheers,
Kevin
Sorry again, my mind has gone. :hairout: What I should have posted was, "No, I could reproduce the problem".

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

BigKev wrote:
BigKev wrote:

Sorry again, my mind has gone. :hairout: What I should have posted was, "No, I could reproduce the problem".
Sorry Kevin
    I just realized that the file which I sent to you had the Recalculation switch set to 'Manual'. The users have encountered the problem with this switch set to 'Automatic'.
    Please confirm whether or not you can reproduce the problem with the Recalculation set to 'Automatic'. :cheers:
Regards
Don

starcrwzr
NewLounger

Post by starcrwzr »

Hi Everyone,
I'm the user who submitted this question to the Lizard's Lounge and Don was kind enough to post it here. I wanted to add to the discussion, that the users that the charts quit working for, said they had worked initially, then they stopped working, with no known changes in their setups. :scratch:

Scott B

BigKev
StarLounger

Post by BigKev »

Don Wells wrote:
BigKev wrote:
BigKev wrote:

Sorry Kevin
    I just realized that the file which I sent to you had the Recalculation switch set to 'Manual'. The users have encountered the problem with this switch set to 'Automatic'.
    Please confirm whether or not you can reproduce the problem with the Recalculation set to 'Automatic'. :cheers:
I can confirm that with the Recalculation set to Automatic and without the Macro assigned the graphs DO change when the conrols are clicked.

My Calculations Options are shown in the attached picture.

:cheers:

Kevin
Calcluation Options in Excel.jpg

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

BigKev wrote:
I can confirm that with the Recalculation set to Automatic and without the Macro assigned the graphs DO change when the conrols are clicked.

My Calculations Options are shown in the attached picture.

:cheers:
Thanks Kevin
Regards
Don

BigKev
StarLounger

Post by BigKev »

Any time Don. The fix I gave in the workbook will make the graphs updateno matter what the Recalculation settings of the user or the workbook however, the file must be saved as a 'Macro Enabled' workbook (.xlsm) in 2007 or 2010.

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

Hi Scott

I have attached a macro to the sliders which will update the charts --I believe independent of any settings other than macro security.

Please let me know how it works out.

File upgraded with this edit to protect against scrolling past the end of the data set.
Regards
Don

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

Do the users have SP2 installed?
Regards,
Rory

starcrwzr
NewLounger

Post by starcrwzr »

rory wrote:Do the users have SP2 installed?
Rory,
Don't know, will have to find out. Is this a potential problem?

Scott

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

Yes - there were many bugs in the initial release of Excel2007. particularly relating to charts. It's also generally regarded as better to use named ranges that don't begin with 'chart' when dealing with charts in 2007, as there have been some issues.
Regards,
Rory

Jan Karel Pieterse
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jan Karel Pieterse »

Didn't know that one Rory. Any references to documentation by any chance?
Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

I've not seen any official documentation, but I know Jon P has mentioned it numerous times (for example here)
Regards,
Rory

Jan Karel Pieterse
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jan Karel Pieterse »

In my book, Jon mentioning a chart problem is as Official as I need :smile:
Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

Snap!
Regards,
Rory

starcrwzr
NewLounger

Post by starcrwzr »

This problem was corrected by the users installing the SP2 update to office. Thanks for all the input.

Scott