Calculate average of 6 rows

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Calculate average of 6 rows

Post by MelanieB »

One of my coworkers has a spreadsheet that lists readings taken 6 times every hour, every day, 7 days a week for several months.
He wants to get a list in Col C of the hourly average for each hour for every day.
Is there a formula or would I need a macro? I don't have a clue how to start this.

I've attached a screen shot.

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Calculate average of 6 rows

Post by HansV »

You can easily do that with a pivot table. For this to work, there must be field names (column headings) above the first row of data - you cna insert a row if necessary.

Click anywhere in the table, then create a pivot table (Data |PivotTable and PivotChart Report in Excel 2003 or before, PivotTable on the Insert tab of the ribbon in Excel 2007 or later).
Add the date/time field to the row fields area, and the readings field to the data values area.
Double-click the data field, select Field Settings and change the summary function to Average.
When the pivot table has been created, right-click any of the date/time values and select Group. Specify that you want to group by Days and by Hours.
x393.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

That's wonderful, Hans. slap myself on forehead for not thinking pivot table.

But... one hitch.. his date/time format.
It's actually coming in as text field. I need to conver it to a date/time field. I tried doing a custom number format, which worked. But then it's still not in the right order to allow me to group it in the pivot. It is dd/mm/yy right now.

What's the fastest, easiest way to change it from his current text format (dd.mm.yy hh:mm:ss) to the correct date format (dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss)?
He gave me over 100 worksheets like this so I need something fairly easy. I tried Left and Right and then copy/ paste special values and data text to columns to split it all out to separate cells and then concatenating it back to one in the right order.. gack. I know this is not the easiest or right way to do it.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try this on a copy of the workbook:
- Select column A.
- Press Ctrl+H to activate the Replace dialog.
- Enter . in the Find what box en / in the Replace with box.
- Click Replace All.

Or does that cause problems with US date format?
Best wishes,
Hans

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

Yeah, I thought of that, but it is still backwards from US date format. The main concern is that it needs to be in mm/dd/yy format. Hence my overly complicated attempts.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See if this macro does what you want:

Code: Select all

Sub FixDates()
  Dim r As Long
  Dim m As Long
  Dim strValue As String
  m = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  For r = 2 To m
    strValue = Cells(r, 1).Value
    strValue = Mid(strValue, 4, 2) & "/" & Left(strValue, 2) & "/" & Mid(strValue, 7)
    Cells(r, 1).Value = CDate(strValue)
  Next r
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
Best wishes,
Hans

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

Ah HA! That's it! Thank youuuuuu