PowerPivot connect to Sql Server Express

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

PowerPivot connect to Sql Server Express

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
Has anyone been using the PowerPivot tool for Excel 2010?
Can it connect to Sql Server Express Edition? I am unable to connect; I came across a similar problem
before using Access and discovered it wasn't possible to connect to the Express edition.
Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: PowerPivot connect to Sql Server Express

Post by agibsonsw »

Update: I can test the connection to SQL Server Express but it doesn't list AdventureWorks in the database
drop-down. If i click Advanced and try to connect to AdventureWorks it says my UDL file is invalid?
Why might this be?
Ta, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Jan Karel Pieterse
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jan Karel Pieterse »

Can you connect to that database using the SQL Server Managment studio?
Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
Actually Adventure Works is not listed as a database within the Management Studio either - it just lists master,
tempdb, etc.
Adventure Works.mdf is in the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data.
Why wouldn't it appear in the database list and how can I connect to it please? Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi again. I managed to connect in both Management Studio and PowerPivot after executing the command:

exec sp_attach_db @dbname=N'AdventureWorks', @filename1=N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\AdventureWorks_Data.mdf', @filename2=N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\AdventureWorks_log.ldf'

Thanks anyway. Andy.