Excel 365 Implementation of Python

richlocus
2StarLounger

Excel 365 Implementation of Python

Post by richlocus »

Hello:

I subscribe to Office 365 for 5 workstations. Here are a few questions for which I couldn't find answers:

1) Do you know when Python will be automatically integrated into Excel 365 or do I have to request it through the Office 365 Portal?
2) I understand it will use the Functions portions of Excel as the gateway to the code, and not the backend VBA interface. Correct?

Any additional information or a link to additional information would be great.

Thanks!

Rich Locus
Excel Developer

SpeakEasy
4StarLounger

Re: Excel 365 Implementation of Python

Post by SpeakEasy »

Python for Excel 365 is only just being released as a public preview to the Insiders Beta Channel. If you are on the Insiders program it should automatically roll out to you soon; you don't have to do anything.

>it will use the Functions portions of Excel
yep, as far as I know.

But a word of warning, there is currently an implication that , whilst free in preview, once Python goes live there will be an additional subscription cost to use it (to quote Microsoft "[a]fter the Preview, some functionality will be restricted without a paid license"). This may change, of course.

If you want to be kept up to date about it, try https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... rce=python
Last edited by SpeakEasy on 06 Sep 2023, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Python in Excel is current;y available to some Office Insiders only; as far as I know it will eventually be rolled out to regular users, but that might take a while.
There'll be no need to install anything extra such as an add-in. Python will be available in the Excel interface as a new function py and perhaps as a command in the Formulas tab of the ribbon.

Microsoft has released this info: Introducing Python in Excel: The Best of Both Worlds for Data Analysis and Visualization
Best wishes,
Hans

richlocus
2StarLounger

Post by richlocus »

Hans and Speakeasy:
Thanks for your reply. I will wait for the rollout since most of my work is in VBA as requested by my clients.
Regards,
Rich Locus