Graph question

bknight
BronzeLounger

Graph question

Post by bknight »

I have a heart/health ss with two graphs. One graph is a combination of systolic/diastolic readings I take everyday. The graph doesn't appear to fluctuate with new numbers added. Is there a way to refresh the graph?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Graph question

Post by HansV »

One way to do this is to convert the source range to a table (Insert > Table). Excel should then automatically adjust the chart when you add a new row to the table.

Another option is to define dynamic named ranges for the x-values and y-values. I have attached a sample workbook that I created for someone else.
You can view the definition of the named ranges in Formulas > Name Manager, and you can inspect how the names have been used by clicking on the chart and then clicking Select Data on the Chart Design tab of the ribbon.

DynamicChart.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

hmmm When I right click on the border of the graph I get the following Cut, Copy, Reset to match style, font, Change Chart Type, Select Data, Move Chart, Bring to Front, Send to Back, Assign Macro, Format Chart area, Normally I Select Data which brings the two series and the associated range of numbers for the two series. Where would I source range to a table (Insert > Table)?
I haven't looked at the attachment yet, but when you assign ranges, will the ranges expand as the upper bound is reached?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Select any cell in the data with systolic/diastolic readings. Then click Table on the Insert tab of the ribbon:

S1243.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

> I haven't looked at the attachment yet, but when you assign ranges, will the ranges expand as the upper bound is reached?

Yes, that is the whole idea.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

HansV wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 14:19
Select any cell in the data with systolic/diastolic readings. Then click Table on the Insert tab of the ribbon:

S1243.png
Ok did that and the ranges of the data are high lighted, select maintain formating, then what to chart? You are demonstrating ways I haven't used before.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You shouldn't have to do anything to the chart. When you click in the last cell of the table and press Tab, you'll create a new row. When you enter data in the new row, they should automatically be displayed in the chart.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Example:

S1244.png
S1245.png
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

I guess I didn't ask the right question, how you attach a chart to the table, After inserting the table(Table 1), I can't find any other chart, and the one I have "looks" the exact as before. The table range is F2138:G2500.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The source range of the chart should coincide with the table...
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

I'll include an image

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

OK, but where in table tools allows me to extend the range when it is filled in Sept?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think you created the table correctly. You may be better off creating dynamic named ranges.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

HansV wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 15:54
I don't think you created the table correctly. You may be better off creating dynamic named ranges.
That would be worse. I open your ss and don't understand anything on the graph. I guess it is an XY graph with names as the X and a number of days as a Y. I guess we'll just pass on the question

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you wish, you can attach a copy of the workbook, or if you prefer, send it to me by email. I promise to treat it confidentially.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

I'm not concerned about confidentially too big for here, I'll email after I submit this.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have returned a modified workbook.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

How did you make the columns self activating?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Click on the chart, then click Select Data on the Chart Design tab of the ribbon. You will see that the ranges for the x-values and y-values are named ranges rather than fixed ranges.
You can use Formulas > Name Manager to inspect the definition of those named ranges.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Ok, Thanks