chart sheet displaying too small to use

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

chart sheet displaying too small to use

Post by stuck »

A colleague has Excel 365 version 2107 (32 bit). Unlike the version I have (2001, 32 bit***), this version appears to include a feature called 'Worksheet Views'. I say appears because although the 'Views' tab includes a section called 'Worksheet Views' at the left hand end, all the options in that Section are greyed out. Also, at the bottom. at the right hand end of the Status Bar, to the left of the buttons / icons that switch between the three workbook views (normal, page layout, page break preview) there is no longer a 'Display Settings' button / icon.

When my colleague opens any of our workbooks with this 'version 2107' the chart sheets in those workbooks are displayed in a very weird manner. The zoom defaults to 10% but even if the zoom is increased to the max of 400% the chart gets no bigger than a thumbnail. This makes the charts completely unusable.

As yet my searching has not found anything about this strange behaviour. Can anyone here offer any insight?

Ken
***No I don't know why my machine has never updated beyond that version. My IT dept. are aware of the lack of updating.

HansV
Administrator

Re: chart sheet displaying too small to use

Post by HansV »

I don't use SharePoint so I can't offer any assistance, but here is a description of Sheet Views (and why they may be grayed out):
Sheet Views in Excel
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

We don't use Sharepoint or OneDrive either, so maybe this weird effect we're seeing is nothing to do with 'Worksheet views' after all. It seemed like a good starting point, since it looks as if some sort of weird view has been applied to the chartsheets.

Meanwhile, our IT people are trying an 'Office repair' to see if that helps.

I'll report back when I know more.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I know more! The problem and the fix are in this post:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 498b90ad77
which despite extensive searching yesterday I never found but today was the top hit.
:thewave:
:thewave:

You have no idea the relief everybody here is feeling.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Congratulations! So it was a printer problem?
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Somehow the default printer on the problem machine had been changed from a PDF printer, which was available / functional, to a 'Follow-me' printer that lives on-site and so is not available / functional for people working-from-home. Resetting the default printer to what it should have been made everything work again.

NB the (stupid) 'Allow Windows to manage my default printer' tick box (in Win 10 Settings Printers) was NOT ticked so our best guess about how the change in the default printer came about is, "It was an update wot dun it."

I find myself rolling my eyes that this bug has been around for so long yet MS have never bothered to address it :sigh:

Ken