Function order

Jezza
5StarLounger

Function order

Post by Jezza »

I seem to remember asking a similar question in another forum many, many years but the memory is a bit vague for this aspect of programming.

I haven't even started coding yet so just conceptualising at the moment. I know that I cannot have two functions executing at the same instance in VBA. However I want to have two avatars/robots to appear to act/decide independently and simutaneously on the Excel Grid.

An example of the game plan would be that two avatars (Rob1 and Rob2) approaching recursively each other in the same column or row index. I don't want to them to have presidence over each other but mutual "awareness" such at the point they would share the same cell index they "stop".

This question is not how they do the above but more how to approach the issue of the calculation. I am trying to conceptualise this problem as one would if two people were walking towards each other, each playing "chicken" with the other. Each one is independently a thinking individual, gauging the speed, the distance of the other but not actually wanting to hit each other. It is simple to write an if/else function to say that they should not touch (acting as a Robot God in the virtual world)

This tends me two think that there will have to be a feedback loop monitoring the basic parameter values of each avatar...

Should I be thinking of a Master function that produces multiple results which act as parameters to the minor functions that control Rob1 and Rob2 or would I have to go down the road of ....:gulp: neural networks?

I think that is clear.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

HansV
Administrator

Re: Function order

Post by HansV »

Perhaps you could use circular formulas (after turning on iteration)? See Iteration & Conway’s Game of Life.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jezza
5StarLounger

Re: Function order

Post by Jezza »

That makes interesting reading, I had a feeling Coway's Game of Life would come in there. I will have a longer read and play to see if it is what I need.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it