AfterUpdate event from a dropdown list? (2003)

jswedlund
Lounger

AfterUpdate event from a dropdown list? (2003)

Post by jswedlund »

I'm setting up a template that contains a dropdown, Data|Validation|List, with values from a range name. I want to run a procedure that is in Module1 and pass the value of the selection from the dropdown cell. Or, how can I call an AfterUpdate event proc (like in Access) when a choice is made from the dropdown. Also, where will or should that event proc live? In the Sheet code, Workbook, module...? I am comfortable in the Access VBA environment but not so in Excel.

HansV
Administrator

Re: AfterUpdate event from a dropdown list? (2003)

Post by HansV »

You can use the Worksheet_Change event in the worksheet module for this. Let's say that the cell with the validation dropdown is D5. The code could look like this:

Code: Select all

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  If Not Intersect(Range("D5"), Target) Is Nothing Then
    Call MyProcedure(Range("D5").Value)
  End If
End Sub
where MyProcedure is the name of the procedure in Module1.
Best wishes,
Hans

jswedlund
Lounger

Post by jswedlund »

Thank you, that's what I needed. So, individual cells don't have events associated with them, correct?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That is correct, but the Worksheet_Change event occurs when one or more cells have been changed, and it has a Target argument that is the range of all cells that have been changed. So you can react to cells being changed by using the Worksheet_Change event.

Similarly, the Worksheet_SelectionChange event occurs when the user selects a different range. It also has a Target argument that represents the new selection.
Best wishes,
Hans

jswedlund
Lounger

Post by jswedlund »

Thanks again Hans, this time for the explanation. I had come across this once some time ago but could not recall it.