Macro problem

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Macro problem

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I have a xlsm workbook and for some unknown reason the macros will not run. I get a message saying macros have been disabled. The macro setting is set on enable. I also have other xlsm workbooks that work just fine, not a problem. Is there a single setting on a workbook that may cause this.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Macro problem

Post by HansV »

Make sure that the workbook is stored in a trusted location. Unless you enable ALL macros in the macro settings, which is not recommended, unsigned VBA code in workbooks that are not in a trusted location will be disabled.

See Change macro security settings in Excel and Create, remove, or change a trusted location for your files.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Hi Hans
I tried both of these methods with no success
How this problem seemed too developed was, when I copied a workbook on to a CD, it was then transferred over to another computer that was just reformatted with XP. When the workbook was then first opened, a dialog saying that all macros have been disabled. The user my brother selected “Help Protect me from unknown contents (Recommended)”. Of course at this point the macros were then disabled. I then assisted him by setting the macros to enable still no success. I then added another xlsm workbook within the same folder and it worked just fine. I then deleted the original workbook and then re-downloaded, nothing seemed to change, the workbook will open but the macros are diabled.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try this:
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Navigate to the workbook with disabled macros.
- Right-click the workbook.
- Select Properties from the popup menu.
- Make sure that the Read-only check box is clear.
- If there's an Unblock button near the bottom of the dialog, click it.
unblock2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Hi Hans
The Read-only check box is clear, but I do not have the Unblock button near the bottom of the dialog. at least not there

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. I'd have to investigate a stripped down copy of the workbook...
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I believe I found the cause and fix
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927150

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You should always keep your Office (and Windows) updated - apparently this problem was fixed in Office 2007 SP2, which was released in April of 2009!

By the way, you didn't tell us that the workbook was encrypted - knowing that might have helped in searching.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Hi Hans
HansV wrote:By the way, you didn't tell us that the workbook was encrypted - knowing that it might have helped in searching.
To be honest I had no idea either
Also the computer in question was just re-formatted so of course no up dates.....opps