CF problems (Excel 2003 SP3)

steveh
SilverLounger

CF problems (Excel 2003 SP3)

Post by steveh »

Morning all

I have 2 CF problems that I cannot seem to resolve.

1. Cells not behaving as expected

I have 4 cells (see CF1 below) that when populated should highlight the highest of the 4 temperatures in orange and the lowest of the 4 temperatures in grey but one cell O23 seems to be misbehaving and I have stared at it for so long I don't think I will ever spot the problem, the CF conditions are shown below in the CF picture.

2. Adding a third condition to the formatting

As a result of the above results 2 further cells show the temperature extremes (lowest - Highest) that the shipment will endure, I would like to add a third condition to alert if at any point of the journey the temperature drops below 2c, my attempt in CF2 below does not work, any advice please.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

HansV
Administrator

Re: CF problems (Excel 2003 SP3)

Post by HansV »

1. Have you checked whether direct formatting has been applied to cell O23? If shading has been set to orange in Format | Cells..., the cell will be orange unless conditional formatting overrules it.

2. The conditions are checked in the order they are specified. If the first condition is satisfied, the associated formatting will be applied and the second and third conditions (if present) will be ignored. If the first condition is not satisfied but the second is, the third condition will be ignored.
So your third condition would only be checked if the cell contains neither the minimum nor the maximum value. Does that explain the behaviour that you experience?
Best wishes,
Hans

steveh
SilverLounger

Re: CF problems (Excel 2003 SP3)

Post by steveh »

HansV wrote:1. Have you checked whether direct formatting has been applied to cell O23? If shading has been set to orange in Format | Cells..., the cell will be orange unless conditional formatting overrules it.

2. The conditions are checked in the order they are specified. If the first condition is satisfied, the associated formatting will be applied and the second and third conditions (if present) will be ignored. If the first condition is not satisfied but the second is, the third condition will be ignored.
So your third condition would only be checked if the cell contains neither the minimum nor the maximum value. Does that explain the behaviour that you experience?
Thanks Hans

Boss used an unlocking tool to break the password and assumed before using my WS that he had to shade the cell himself, I had not even thought of looking at that as an explaination. Also thanks for the advice on how the CF runs, by moving my <>0 to be the first format worked great
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin