charting date fields in Excel 2007

BobSullivan
3StarLounger

charting date fields in Excel 2007

Post by BobSullivan »

I am trying to create an Excel Chart that tracks hockey statistics entered into an excel table.

Here's some information
Game Date---------Goals Allowed--------------Goals Against Average.
4/13 -------------------- 4------------------------------- 4.00
4/27-------------------- 3 ------------------------------ 3.50
5/4-----------------------6-------------------------------4.33
5/11----------------------4------------------------------ 4.25
6/29----------------------2 ----------------------------- 3.80

The chart tracks hockey statistics. The vertical axis is goals against average, and the horizontal axis is the date of the games. While the games occur somewhat weekly, it's not an exact thing.

It seems that when Excel uses date fields as the horizontal, it wants to put regular increment between the dates. There are 3 settings in the format horizontal axis: Automatically select based on data, Text axis, Date axis. None of them work. The determining factor seems to be Major unit, and since the field is a date field, the major unit factor is days, months, years.

I know I could convert the date column to a text column and then it would work, but I was wondering if there was another way to have the horizontal axis show just the dates on which games were actually played while leaving the game date column formatted as dates.
Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
Elverson, PA

HansV
Administrator

Re: charting date fields in Excel 2007

Post by HansV »

If you select "Text Axis" with Major Unit = 1, you should get what you want:
x212.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans