Printing 3 sheets in 1

Rise
StarLounger

Printing 3 sheets in 1

Post by Rise »

I have a 400 line spreadsheet with 4 columns. At 75% zoom, this 8-pager becomes 6 pages. I can then fit the 4 columns 3x on a single print sheet and if I print front & back, it all fits on 1 page. My question is: is there an easier way to do this instead of manually cutting/pasting columns on the sheet to get the format I'm looking for? It will have to be a daily routine. I looked through the printing options and nothing immediately stuck out at me.

Leif
Administrator

Re: Printing 3 sheets in 1

Post by Leif »

Put a formula in column E so that the cells = column A (e.g. '=A1'), in column F = column B etc, down as far as row 50.
Then repeat starting in cell I1 = A51, J1 = B1 etc.
Set the print area to = A1 to AF50 and you should end up a 2-page print if I've done my sums/read your question correctly!
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could create a second sheet and copy/paste special the blocks as links. You will only have to do this once.
When you edit the values in the original sheet, the second sheet will automatically reflect the changes.
Use the second sheet for printing.
See the attached workbook.
PrintSample.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rise wrote:My question is: is there an easier way to do this instead of manually cutting/pasting columns on the sheet to get the format I'm looking for?
yes.
"Smart page zoomer for Excel. Works out the best zoom factor BEFORE you print."
http://www.chrisgreaves.com/Downloads/Downloads.htm
Email me if you run into problems.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Rise
StarLounger

Post by Rise »

3 responses within 3 minutes of each other, not bad! :laugh:

I went with leif/hans' suggestion but I'll be sure to check out the smart page zoomer as well! Thanks guys.

Rise
StarLounger

Post by Rise »

ruh roh - after using this solution for a few days I realized there's a slight issue... as data get's moved around by another macro, it seems to change the cell call outs on the other sheet to correspond to where the data got moved to. this creates #REF errors... do I need to individually type each one out as =Inventory!$C$2, =Inventory!$C$3, etc? that wouldn't be very fun :laugh:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could use this macro to convert the formulas to use INDIRECT. This makes them refer to the physical cell addresses in the source sheet:

Code: Select all

Sub ConvertFormulas()
  Dim oCell As Range
  For Each oCell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange
    If oCell.HasFormula Then
      oCell.Formula = "=INDIRECT(""" & Mid(oCell.Formula, 2) & """)"
    End If
  Next oCell
End Sub
You have to do this before the formulas are messed up, of course.

I have attached the result of running the macro in the workbook from my previous reply.
PrintSample.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rise
StarLounger

Post by Rise »

that seems to do the trick Hans. I didn't know of that formula indirect, thanks.