if formula to set cell values

Robie
5StarLounger

if formula to set cell values

Post by Robie »

Hi

I am sure this is simple to someone who knows Excel. I can create formulas where I insert the 'if' formula true/values in the same column as the formula but don't know how to do it so that the true/false values are inserted in a *different* column.

I need to set column J with a value of 18 if column F says "Yes". But, the kicker is that I need to have this formula in column *M* (as column J has other values in it).

Thanks.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: if formula to set cell values

Post by Rudi »

A formula can only output values in the cell in which the formula resides. Either the formula will need to exist in J and output various values based on multiple conditions, or the value will need to be overwritten using a macro that evaluates the needed condition.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A formula in a cell can only return a value in that cell, not in another cell.
You might use the Camera tool to display the value of for example M3 on top of cell J3. Cell J3 would keep its original value, but you won't see that because of the "picture" of cell M3 on top of it.
See for example Camera Tool Function In Excel 2010.
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

Thanks Ruid and Hans. I will take a look at the camera tool and see if I can make use of it.

Thanks once again.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

If you add a "D" in from of the name you call me above, I might be able to conjure up some magic to make Excel do what you need. :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

Rudi wrote:If you add a "D" in from of the name you call me above, I might be able to conjure up some magic to make Excel do what you need. :laugh:
hahahaha. Sorry about that Rudi (I see that you use the 'd' before 'i' except after 'e' rule). :grin:

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Gosh... and I overlooked an error to! I obviously meant 'front' instead of 'from'. :groan:
Regards,
Rudi