Excel 2010 Macros - Trust Center Setting

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Excel 2010 Macros - Trust Center Setting

Post by JimmyC »

Employees have recently received Excel files via e-mail that have been embedded with malicious VBA code. I was thinking about going to each user's PC, and in the Excel 2010 trust center for macros to "disable all macros without notification" as we tried to "disable all macros with notification" but several employees ignored the notification and clicked to enabled what was a malicious macro.

There are times when an Excel file is received via e-mail that has valid, useful VBA included. Is there anyway to review the macro code if the trust center setting is to "disable all macros with/without notification"? I have tried sending an Excel file to work from my home e-mail account with VBA code in Module 1. But when it gets to work and I open it--with the Trust Setting to disable all macros--the Module 1 appears to be gone so that there is no opportunity to review it. I assume this is "how" the macro disable setting works in the Trust center but I can't seem to find anything on the internet to confirm. Is there a way to review macro code, and perhaps run it if needed, with macros disabled in the trust center?

Thank you
JImC

HansV
Administrator

Re: Excel 2010 Macros - Trust Center Setting

Post by HansV »

Have you tried pressing Alt+F11 to view the Visual Basic Editor?
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Alt+F11 works to "view" the macro, but it still will not run.
The only way to run the macro would be to enable the macro.

As Microsoft help quotes: "This setting is for people who never intend to run macros."

This is the message you will see if you try to run a macro by going to the VBE when all macros are disabled.
SC008.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Rudi--thanks! I am going to duplicate my process---re-send another Excel file from my home e-mail account to work and see if Module 1 is still there (i.e., I place 4 lines of code in Module 1 to print a range on Sheet1!). Maybe something else is happening. Thank you for the advice. Jim

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

The screenshot above was exactly how I see it when I open a workbook that contains a macro (while Excel macros are disabled without notification). So I can see the module and the code, but I just cannot run it no matter which method I attempt.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Rudi, Hans---as always thank you for the advice. When I duplicated my steps to re-send the same Excel file from my Home e-mail account to work---I can now "see" the module by pressing ALT+F11. And the behavior is consistent with Rudi's description (I.e., I cannot run the macro). Again, thank you both. JimC