Initialize ActiveX controls in Excel 2007

adam
SilverLounger

Initialize ActiveX controls in Excel 2007

Post by adam »

HI anyone,

I've put up the Spreadsheet function 11.0 in my Excel 2007 workbook's user form. After I have installed OWX11 addin to my Excel 2007 version & started using this function I'm getting the prompt message

"This application is about to initialize ActiveX controls that might be unsafe. If you trust the source of this file, select OK and the controls will be initialized using your current workspace settings." as I enable the macros when opening the excel workbook.

I wonder if there is a functionality to get rid of this message because the workbook that I have applied the spreadsheet function 11.0 contains data from trusted sources I believe disabling this message would not cause me any harm.

Or else should I refer to the site http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=817112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and do what's being told to get rid of the message.

Before the installation of the addin OWC11 when I open the macro enabled workbook I get only the enable macros button.

Any help on this would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Adam

rory
5StarLounger

Re: Initialize ActiveX controls in Excel 2007

Post by rory »

You can get rid of the message by changing the ActiveX settings in the Trust Center under Excel Options, but this is an application-wide setting, not a workbook-specific one.
Regards,
Rory

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Thanks for the reply Rory.
rory wrote:You can get rid of the message by changing the ActiveX settings in the Trust Center under Excel Options, but this is an application-wide setting, not a workbook-specific one.
Does it mean that if I get rid of the message by changing the ActiveX settings in the Trust Center under Excel Options; the message goes away not only from the workbook that I have applied spreadsheet function 11.0 but from all the workbooks as this is not a workbook-specific one as referred by you?
Best Regards,
Adam

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

That's correct.
Regards,
Rory

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

One more clarification; Rory.

The attached workbook defines what I'm asking. When the xls file is opened, a user is being prompted twice: first is about enable / disable macro; second is about the ActiveX as I mentioned above.

What I'm trying to know is how to modify the application or workbook so that, when the xls file is opened, a user is only prompted with the enable/disable macros as shown in the attached image but not with the ActiveX, as this causes the user to prompt when an object (shape, line, etc) in my xls file's spreadsheets is clicked.
MacrosinExcel2007.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best Regards,
Adam

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

As I said, the setting is application-specific, so you have to change it on each machine.
Regards,
Rory

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

In Trust Center settings instead under ActiveX settings under Excel Options in office buttonI have Set the option for ActiveX as; Enable all controls with restrictions and without prompting (not recommended, potentially dangerous controls can run).
Instead of the radio button; Prompt me before enabling all controls with minimal restrictions.
Change Activex Security Settings Enable All Controls Without Restriction.PNG
But still I'm getting the ActiveX message.

What have I missed out here or done wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best Regards,
Adam

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Here's How I have done.
EnableExcelMacro.gif
Best Regards,
Adam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Your last screenshot shows the Macro Settings. ActiveX Settings is the item above it in the navigation pane of the Trust Center.
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Sorry wrong screenshot posted. It should be ActiveX Settings above the Macro Settings in the navigation pane of the Trust Center with the last radio button being selected.
Best Regards,
Adam

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

It would seem that that setting does not in fact do what it claims! I just tested, and have the same behaviour you describe. You will have to try the registry fix, I think.
Regards,
Rory

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

If I have to try the registry fix in your opinion to get rid of the ActiveX; how might I do that?
Will http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=817112 help me
Best Regards,
Adam

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

Honestly, I have no idea. Everything I have read indicates that the Trust Center settings should work. If you put the workbook in a trusted location, do you get the prompt?
Regards,
Rory

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Amongst the Several Default trusted locations that are automatically created when we install the 2007 Microsoft Office system, I'm trying to set the following example as my Trusted source:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\12

But still I get the prompt message. If what I had done is wrong how do I put the workbook in a trusted location.

I had selected the above location by following the procedure in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/ ... 33.aspx#12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do I have to place the workbook within that folder?
Best Regards,
Adam

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Never It does not work either way.
Best Regards,
Adam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A subfolder of Program Files is not a good location for your workbook. Try setting your (My) Documents folder or a subfolder of it as a trusted location, and store the workbook there.
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

I did give a try using C:\Users\user\Documents\My Received Files in this way the enable macros button does not appear. But still this ActiveX message appears.
Best Regards,
Adam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As you know, I don't have the OWC10 or OWC11 controls on my PC, so I can't test with those, but if I save a workbook with other ActiveX controls, such as the Calendar Control, in a trusted location, I can open the workbook without seeing any prompt. I'm afraid I have no idea why it doesn't work for you.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Oops - I take that back. I didn't look far enough. I didn't get the warning the first time I reopened the workbook, but I do get it the next time, and each subsequent time. It looks like you'll have to live with the warning - or do without non-standard ActiveX controls.
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

What you have is right Hans. As you don't have the OWC10 or OWC11 controls on your PC, you can't test with those, but if you save a workbook with other ActiveX controls, such as the Calendar Control, in a trusted location, you could open the workbook without seeing any prompt. I totally agree with this.

But as with the spreadsheet function with the installation of OWC11 to Excel 2007 when the workbook is open the message that is displayed is the image that I had uploaded in post=18564 when I enable it again I get that message which says so in my first post.
Best Regards,
Adam