Pivot headings (Excel 2007)

steveh
SilverLounger

Pivot headings (Excel 2007)

Post by steveh »

Hi

I am not too familiar with pivot tables but I am trying to incorporate one in a report that I am designing, maybe there is a practical reason why the column heads show Sum Of, Count Of etc. but it makes the report look scruffy, I have looked through the settings and can't see a way that they can be suppressed so that just the actual name appears. Can this be done?

Cheers
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

rory
5StarLounger

Re: Pivot headings (Excel 2007)

Post by rory »

You can change the captions (either by right-clicking and choosing Field Settings, or just overtyping the cell) but you can't use the original field name. You can however simply add a space to the end of the field name so that it differs from the actual name.
Regards,
Rory

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Congrats Steve....
The moment you start using Pivots for reporting...there is no going back to the manual slog!! :thumbup:

You can rename the headings for the aggregate columns by just typing in a new heading over the current one containing "Sum of..."
It will unfortunately be reset to the Sum of... if you remove the field from the Pivot and add it again. Barring this action, the renamed title will stick!

Just be careful not to name it similar to the current field name. IOW: Just removing the "Sum of" part will cause a conflict with the current field name. A trick to keeping it look similar to the current field name is to append a space just in front of (or after) the name. So for example:
Original name is "Sum of Order Total" can become " Order Total" or "Order Total " (notice the spaces inside the quotes)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Thanks Rory and Rudi

Trust me to look for the hard solution when it was as easy as that!!

Cheers
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin