Does show/hide detail cause calculation event?

dende
NewLounger

Does show/hide detail cause calculation event?

Post by dende »

Hi All,
In Excel 2003:
I've been working with a user's file in which she gets a 3-5 second delay any time she shows or hides detail for grouped rows/columns. After some delving, it looks like:
- The delay is a calculation of the workbook
- This delay only occurs with Calculation set to Automatic
- The file has about 6000 volatile functions (all INDIRECTs)
- In Automatic calc, if you substitute a static function for the INDIRECTs, there is no delay.
So, in sum, clearly it's causing a calculation event and triggering the volatile functions. This all happens on my machine as well as hers.
I took a new file and entered 6000 Indirects. There were no dependent calculations, so the delay wasn't as great of course, but it still calculated after every show/hide. So I wanted to askif this is a known repercussion of showing/hiding, or if it happens to anyone in another environment.
Thanks very much,
Dan

HansV
Administrator

Re: Does show/hide detail cause calculation event?

Post by HansV »

Yes, this is a known bug (or feature) in Excel 2003 and later - see All open workbooks are recalculated when you hide or unhide rows in Excel 2007 or in Excel 2003. The rather silly workaraound suggested by Microsoft is to turn off automatic calculation :hairout:
Best wishes,
Hans

dende
NewLounger

Re: Does show/hide detail cause calculation event?

Post by dende »

LOL- that's gonna have to be my workaround suggestion for the user. Thanks so much!