List of names and addresses

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

List of names and addresses

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. Word 2007.

I wonder if someone can point me to a list of names and addresses, etc., that I might use to demonstrate mail-merging?

My googling is failing at the mo.. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: List of names and addresses

Post by DaveA »

Why not just make up your own list.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

DaveA wrote:Why not just make up your own list.
Hi. I generally do, but I tend to run out of inspiration after about 10 rows. I should spend some time when I get a chance trying to track down a list.

I really want a sizeable list of UK names and addresses. Apparently this should be fairly easy to obtain, according to all the junk mail one receives :grin:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Yes, you are so right, but the problem I see is the different addressing for the different areas of the world. I know that a list for the US would not be a lot use to those in England .
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I'm attempting to download a million sample UK (fake) names, addresses and DOBs etc from http://www.grid-tools.com/resources/free_test_data.php. They have a US list as well.

It will take quite a while with my broadband dongle! And these data-generators are not always that great as they sometimes prove repetitive, un-realistic. Actually, it's a zip file but I did specify Access as my database, so hopefully I'm not wasting my time.

It's possible to obtain a list (28 million!) from the Post Office.. for a few hundred quid :laugh: (It's called a PAF.)

I don't really need a million either; 50 or 100 would have been fine :smile:. Still, it will be useful to me in Access as well.

I'll report back tomorrow. Andy.

Added: Just noticed an irritation: "A representative will be in touch with you shortly" - great!

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

How about writing a script to create the data since it does not have to be correct. i.e. the end results would like like:

Martha Smith, 1520 Lincoln Road, Cheshire, UK
Martha Smiti, 1521 Lincoln Road, Cheshire, UK

etc. Change 1 letter and one number. This script could create a file with as many as you want.
Who will you Inspire today?

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi Timelord.

I could do that in Excel by filling-down as well, but it wouldn't give the range of 'semi-realistic' data I'm after.

It's not a major issue though, so perhaps I'll see how this download works out.

Ta, Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi. Vista can't open this .zip file. I thought it might be an Access or .csv file so changed the file extension but it's not one of these (.mdb, .accdb or .csv).

Is there a (free) application that would determine what kind of file it is?

If not, I might just delete it and not worry about it. Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you have a hex editor, you could look at the first few bytes of the file, they often provide information about the file type... :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

HansV wrote:If you have a hex editor, you could look at the first few bytes of the file, they often provide information about the file type... :grin:
Ach, I'll nay bother! Perhaps I'll revise my searching to look for a sample (UK) contacts database, or just spend a dull afternoon making up about 50 names/addresses.

It's not a concern. Regards, Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Don't you have 50 monkeys and 50 typewriters? If they don't produce the complete works of Shakespeare, they might produce a suitable address list...

(They can take pictures too...)
Best wishes,
Hans