Links from document to document

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Links from document to document

Post by PamCaswell »

Hi, folks,

I am asking for help for a person on another Word forum who is reluctant to join another one. After much discussion, which I stayed out of because I don't use links very much, the main question became this: is her approach OK or is there a better one that she and her client (both inexperienced in VBA and databases) could accomplish? Thanks, I really value your opinions.

Pam
Summary: I’m using Word 2003 on Windows 7. The purpose of the project is to publish 8 publications consisting mostly of questions. Master questions are in table format and need to be expressed exactly the same way each time the question is used in one of the publications. We need a central repository of questions, and an automated or managed way of gathering the questions from the central repository into the 8 different publications. The questions are used multiple times in the different documents. Eight documents will be saved as PDFs and be published online and on paper. I’m to set it up so the client will be able to revise the publications annually.

More info: The main part of each publication is a table comprising a few hundred questions, each with several alternative answers; the publication preparer selects one answer for each question. I've been calling the master questions document, already created, the master document. We want to link each master question to where it belongs, in one or more of the 8 publications. When a question is revised in the central repository, we want the publication documents to update automatically. In other words, I want a change in the master document reflected in the destination document. The fact that questions are laid out in tables seems to be a problem.

I was trying to do it through Word, but having the links in a table has been a problem. Someone suggested that Excel would do it better. The publications need to be professional quality. I have to have precise control over leading, paragraph spacing, margins, table border widths, standoff from the border, etc. The client wants something that she’ll be able to update in the future herself. That means using software that’s readily available and not difficult for a non-designer, non-editor to use (she originally suggested Excel or Access).

If getting into VBA is beyond me, maybe the issue is moot. I’m usually very good at figuring out software, but I’m not a big user of databases (I’m an editor), so my experience there is limited.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Links from document to document

Post by HansV »

It is possible to copy paragraphs in a cell (not an entire cell) in the "master document", and use Paste Special with the Paste Link option to create a link in the table in one of the 8 publications.
But to make this process user-friendly would require considerable programming, and I fear that would be true for a solution involving any other application. In other words, I don't think there is an easy solution for this problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PamCaswell wrote:... need to be expressed exactly the same way each time the question is used in one of the publications. We need a central repository of questions, and an automated or managed way of gathering the questions from the central repository into the 8 different publications. The questions are used multiple times in the different documents.
How's this (attached) look?
I wrote CodeText 15 years ago in Word6, migrated it to Word/VBA.
The pharmaceutical company had 1,500 documents describing test procedures, each procedure sprinkled with common phrases ("Take 24 healthy rats ...")
CodeText allows the operator to select and load text to a database.
From memory it had code to make a fuzzy choice about matching text (since past operators had used slightly different wording).
The 1,500 documents ended up inverted into a series of {IncludeText} calls to well-defined and easily-maintained chunks of text in the master database.
The master database was maintained as a Word document.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

Thank you both for your answer. Even though the original setup is tedious, it sounds as if the wanted result is possible. And, of course, if they are willing to use a macro, things could be made much easier. I've sent a link to this site to the person with the question.

Thanks again,
Pam