Caption numbering

Caesar3
Lounger

Caption numbering

Post by Caesar3 »

I'm using a custom template to create a family of documents. The template uses all nine built-in styles that I've customized to support a multi-level numbering scheme. My problem is caption numbering.

The main part of the document has numbered chapters: 1, 2, 3, etc. Chapters use the Heading 2 style. Captions for graphics pick up the chapter number. If chapter 3 has three graphics, they're numbered as Figure 3-1, 3-2, and 3-3.

After the numbered chapters come the appendixes, which use the Heading 6 style and are numbered Appendix A, B, C. When I add a caption to a graphic in, say, appendix B, I tell the caption dialog box to link the caption number to the Heading 6 style: Figure B-1, for example.

When I look back at the graphics in any of my numbered chapters, the captions have changed from Figure 1-1 to Figure A-1. Why does Word behave this way, and what can I do to prevent this behavior?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Caption numbering

Post by HansV »

Word uses a single numbering sequence for figure captions. To get different numbering for the appendices, you have to use a trick. See How to number headings and figures in Appendixes in Microsoft Word.
Best wishes,
Hans

Caesar3
Lounger

Post by Caesar3 »

Perfect! Thank you, Hans!

Caesar3
Lounger

Post by Caesar3 »

Hans,

Shauna Kelly's tutorial works great. Captions are working like they're supposed to, and the fix was not all that difficult. Now I've found another little problem in the table of figures.

Ms. Kelly says to insert two tables of figures: the first using "Figure" for the caption label, the second using the new label "Figure_Apx." When I insert the second the second table of figures, I get a message box that asks, "Do you want to replace the selected table of figures?" (Word seems to have magically selected the first table of figures.) The choices are "OK" and "Cancel." If I click OK, the second table of figures entirely replaces the first. If I click Cancel, nothing changes—I have the first TOF, but not the second. Ms. Kelly's tutorial does not address this problem.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If nobody else replies, I'll look into it later - I'm preparing dinner at the moment.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm using Word 2010. I can insert a second Table of Figures based on a different label without problems, if I *do* remember to select the other label.
x646.png
If I select the same label by accident, I get a dialog with Yes, No and Cancel buttons. Yes replaces the current TOF, No creates a new one and Cancel just cancels everything.
x647.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Caesar3
Lounger

Post by Caesar3 »

That's odd. I did not see anything of the sort. Not the Yes/No/Cancel. All I get is OK/Cancel. I'm using Office 2007, but that should not be a factor. I was careful to check the alternate label the second time, too. I must be doing something wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps it has been changed in Word 2010. I don't have access to a PC with Office 2007 any more, perhaps a Lounger who has can comment.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

It works fine for me in Word 2010
TOF.png
TOF Replace.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

Caesar3
Lounger

Post by Caesar3 »

Thank you, Hans and Stuart. I'll be back at work Monday to check my work very carefully.