Document ignores margins

Caesar3
Lounger

Document ignores margins

Post by Caesar3 »

A colleague converted a PDF document MS-Word with Adobe Acrobat 9. The margins in the new Word document are set correctly, and the text that came over from the PDF appear within the margins. However, when he enters new text in the Word document, the line of text spills right past the margin and off the page.

We tried selecting one affected paragraph and pressing Ctrl + Q. That pulled his new text back inside the margins, but when we add more new text, the paragraph displays the same weird behavior.

The best solution I can come up with is to launch a new template and start copying and pasting text into it. I'm sure that will put a stop to this behavior. Still, I'm curious what's behind the behavior. What can one do to stop this nonsense?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Document ignores margins

Post by HansV »

Conversion from PDF to Word is seldom perfect, it's like creating fresh vegetables from vegetable stew.

Check the margins set in the page setup and the indents set in the Paragraph dialog. If, for example, the right indent has been set to a negative number, the text can extend beyond the right page margin.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Also check for section breaks and different page sizes and orientation.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Caesar3
Lounger

Post by Caesar3 »

HansV wrote:Conversion from PDF to Word is seldom perfect, it's like creating fresh vegetables from vegetable stew.
That's a fabulous analogy, Hans! :laugh:

I'll check the margins, sections, indentations, page sizes and all the rest. Thanks for the tips!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The analogy is not from me - as far as I know, the original version is from PowerPoint MVP Steve Rindsberg.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

The answers here are far better than any I am qualified to give; however, I wondered if the resulting Word file might have a template associated with it that might be at play wrt the margin problem.

In the past - when I used to use Word extensively - I found that many of my formatting problems could be resolved by examining the template associated with the document. Most often the template file was normal.dot (I think).

Maybe Hans and DaveA can shed light on this point.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

With a document created from a PDF document, it is unlikely that a template causes problems.
Best wishes,
Hans