Copy/paste in Word 2007

dasadler
5StarLounger

Copy/paste in Word 2007

Post by dasadler »

I have an odd situation. If I have two Word docs open and I want to replace a paragraph in doc 1 with a similar paragraph from doc 2, I should be able to copy that paragraph from doc 2 then go to doc 1 and highlight the paragraph I want replaced then paste. However, when i do that, it doesn't change... that is, the old paragraph is not replaced by the new paragraph. I have found that if I do not select the entire paragraph but only a part of it, then it seems to work.

Must be something to do with the paragraph mark but I can't find what's wrong. Any ideas?
Don

HansV
Administrator

Re: Copy/paste in Word 2007

Post by HansV »

That's very strange, Word should replace the current selection with what's on the clipboard, whether you're copying/pasting an entire paragraph or part of a paragraph.
Does the problem persist after quitting and restarting Word? And after restarting Windows?
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Must have been a minor issue as it seems to work now after restarting Word. It was really frustrating for a while, though, when working with several documents. I am starting to realize that a lot of problems (H/W & S/w) are solved with a restart.
Don

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

I have also experienced the same problem as dasadler.

In my case, I turn off Tracking and then paste - voila it works. Switch on tracking again. It is a right-royal pain (especially if one wants to track the paste).

Robie
Last edited by Robie on 18 Feb 2010, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge, Robie!
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

Same Robie as from the other place :0). Finally tracked you down.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Robie wrote:Same Robie as from the other place :0). Finally tracked you down.
We didn't actually hide!

It's great to see you here.
StuartR

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

I had the same problem with word 2003 - problem turned out to be clipboard. In my case the clip board holds 24 items and if - under some conditions - you copy a 25th item, word (clip board) didn't clear itself. I could not from that point forward cut and paste until the clipboard was cleared.

Hans pointed out the clip board option on edit in word which has a "clear clip board" option.

That solved my problem

I have no idea what condition causes the clipboard to hang up on the 24th entry.

Tom