Checking spelling and grammar as I type

jmt356
SilverLounger

Checking spelling and grammar as I type

Post by jmt356 »

In my options dialogue for proofing, I have checked the box for checking spelling and grammar as I type. However, with many documents that I open, it seems this option is not set by default.

Each time I open a new document, a banner displays stating that spell check is not enabled and asking me whether I want to enable spell check. I click enable. Usually, when I then close and reopen the document, where it remembers my setting and enables document editing, but sometimes the banner displays once again, forgetting the setting that I had previously set.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Checking spelling and grammar as I type

Post by HansV »

When you notice that your spelling is not checked automatically, select File > Options > Proofing.
Is the check box "Hide spelling errors in this document only" ticked?

S2455.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

I believe Hans has spotted the reason you will see this message.
The option to check spelling as you type is a system setting, not a document setting.
However, you can have as little as as single character marked to not check spelling or grammar and it will trigger this warning in recent versions of Word.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 9788821357
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/MasterSpellCheck.htm

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I wonder why many of my documents are suddenly prompting me that spell check is not enabled and asking me whether I want to enable spell check, even though I have the system setting set to check spelling and grammar.
Regards,

JMT

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

jmt356 wrote:
30 Sep 2023, 10:40
I wonder why many of my documents are suddenly prompting me that spell check is not enabled and asking me whether I want to enable spell check, even though I have the system setting set to check spelling and grammar.
This prompt is fairly new. I think I first saw it within the past year. It may even be within the last six weeks: I am unsure. I have many templates where I have deliberately so marked some text. I even have a character style I use to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 55e8d636cc These are often case names or legal terms in Latin.

This happens when some text (at least one character) has been marked to not check spelling or grammar.
This is not a document setting.
This is not a Word setting.
This is the equivalent of text formatting like Bold or Italics. Your document is set for non-Bold, non-Italics, but any text in it can take on those attributes.
It can be carried into a document with pasted text, the same way Bold or Italics can.