3StarLounger

Autosave -Word 365

Post by uncle »

What are the pros/cons of using this feature? Thank you

HansV
Administrator

Re: Autosave -Word 365

Post by HansV »

Con: AutoSave is only available for documents stored on OneDrive (or SharePoint), not for documents stored locally.

Pro: When it is on, Word will save the document every few seconds. So you won't lose changes even if you forget to save the document explicitly, or if Word or your computer crashes.
Every 10 minutes or so, a version will be saved to Version History. So if you mess up, you'll be able to go back to a previous version.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Con (from the frequency of complaints in the Microsoft Answers forum): AutoSave doesn't always save. The timing of such failures seems to aim for the maximum importance of the document. :hairout:

The best advice is to continue to save manually (Ctrl+S) frequently, such as each time you pause to consider what to type next. If AutoSave is behaving itself, this amounts to the "belt and suspenders" method that's well known to engineers.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Given the two comments above, about twenty years ago I added a macro to my Normal template that saves every one to ten minutes (user setting) and included an "Audit trail", which sounds like the versioning of Microsoft. I use it still, and as Jay suggests I also manually save.

My code still works, but it depends on the MSWord Application.Ontime command, so if I have any other application running that uses that command, my custom Autosave breaks down, because Word2003 permits but one Autosave in action at any time.

The attached code might need my UW.dot utility library, but if you look at the procedures "RunSaveDocs" and "SaveDocs" you;ll get an idea of how it works.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 06 Jul 2023, 18:36, edited 2 times in total.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Graham Mayor also has an Add-In.
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

My understanding is that Ctrl+S with a document that has AutoSave activated does nothing. Also the AutoRecover feature is not active.