Word plug-in 'wrong argument'

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Word plug-in 'wrong argument'

Post by LineLaline »

Dear all.
I have been using a plug-in to remedy a problem with files that used different headers and footers and restarted numbering. The first four pages would be without header and footer, and page number 5 would start numbering at 1.
Many times though the files turned against me because I also need to use columns and for some reason, the numbers and columns didn't get along.

For clarity; here is my workflow.

I create a file from scratch.
I add the headers and footers on the first and second page.
I continue to add content and then add the continuous break at the bottom of pages 3 and 4.
I unlink the headers and footers on pages 5 and 6.
Then, I remove the headers and footers from pages 1 and 2.

All is well.
Then, I start writing material and add columns (usually two), there can be two columns on a page under two images, sometimes there are four images, each divided over two columns to create 'heading > image > description' under one another in both the left and right column.

Older files sometimes refuse continuing the numbering and revert to headings that are not even used anymore, or remove headings since for some reason they link to the first pages. This also messes up the numbering which then gets very confusing. Nothing helped, only removing all breaks with 'Find and Replace', replacing all ^b with nothing. Sigh.

I found a plug-in a while ago and this really helped. I could click on a button and it would tell me the macro had run and all was well in the world.
Those days are gone. I now get this message:
wrong-argument.png
I followed the instructions to a tee and placed the files I needed in the Word 'STARTUP' folder.
This though is a new laptop and it has been quite the ride to get things right. I may have missed something. But I checked and all seems right compared to the old laptop. I am at my wits end.
I could try to contact the developer but i thought I would first check here to see if someone has an idea on what could be going on. What the heck is a wrong argument? Argh!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Word plug-in 'wrong argument'

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid it's impossible to troubleshoot this without seeing the code of the plug-in, so I hope that the developer will respond.
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

I do not know what plug-in you are using.
Changing columns inserts section breaks.
If you have page numbering restarting at the beginning of a section in which you create a new section break, it will restart there as well.

Go into the section where the numbering is restarting and you do not want ti restarting.
Use the Format Page Numbers dialog to tell Word to continue numbering from the previous section.

The following free utility may help.
https://addbalance.com/word/download.htm#HFToolkitOrig

Here are some additional reference links:

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

HansV wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 18:33
I'm afraid it's impossible to troubleshoot this without seeing the code of the plug-in, so I hope that the developer will respond.
Thanks Hans, i just didn't want to post anything to disclose the developer's software, I don't know if they would like to see their code published on this website. Plus I have no idea where to find that code, I have never been into macros and so on! Late to the game 😊

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

Charles Kenyon wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 18:37
Changing columns inserts section breaks.
If you have page numbering restarting at the beginning of a section in which you create a new section break, it will restart there as well.

Go into the section where the numbering is restarting and you do not want ti restarting.
Use the Format Page Numbers dialog to tell Word to continue numbering from the previous section.

Here are some additional reference links:
Thank you, Charles! I will check this out. It is a lot of text so it will take a while to read it all and do it, but I will. I have read a portion of it and it seems I am doing things right, it's just that the plug-in no longer seems to work.
I just checked the name of the plug-in. It's two pages combined into a ZIP named 'ContinuousPageNumberAddIn.zip'. It worked perfectly on the other laptop but I can't get it to work on this one. Maybe it's macro-related??? Argh!

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

Charles Kenyon wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 18:37
[...]
Oh my gosh, I have that one, incredible! :laugh:
I don't remember where I got the other one.