Styles are lost when pasting from one Word document to another

jmt356
SilverLounger

Styles are lost when pasting from one Word document to another

Post by jmt356 »

I have copied and pasted text from one Word file to another. I lose all the styles when I paste, regardless of whether I choose Merge Formatting or Keep Source Formatting. Headings 1 and 2 turn into formatted versions of the Normal style. They look like the styles, but they are just modified versions of Normal. How can I preserve all the styles and keep them intact?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Styles are lost when pasting from one Word document to another

Post by HansV »

Make sure that you open both the source document and the target document from within Word.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I continue to have the same issue even when opening both files within Word.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Have you installed any add-ins in Word that might interfere with copy/paste?
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

The only macro I have installed removes headers and footers from my Word documents.
Regards,

JMT

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

The paste options are not especially helpful.
If the style exists in the receiving document, the style definition will override. Unfortunately, if you choose "Use Source Formatting, you get direct formatting in the Normal style.

You can import the style from the source using the Organizer.
https://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/s ... #Organizer

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Both the source and destination documents have Heading 1. Why wouldn't Heading 1 when copied into the destination document remain Heading 1 when I choose Keep Source Formatting or Merge Formatting?
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If you pasted a new definition of Heading1 then that would affect all Heading1 paragraphs in the document, not just the one you pasted
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 11:01
If you pasted a new definition of Heading1 then that would affect all Heading1 paragraphs in the document, not just the one you pasted
... and presumably all style definitions based on Heading1.
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

jmt356 wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 10:53
Both the source and destination documents have Heading 1. Why wouldn't Heading 1 when copied into the destination document remain Heading 1 when I choose Keep Source Formatting or Merge Formatting?
Keep Source Formatting always gives directly formatted text in the Normal underlying style. Styles are not copied, only the look.
Merge Formatting would keep the destination definition of Heading 1. I have not checked, but it may add direct formatting to the pasted text.

Like many Word options, it is not clearly worded. (i.e. Block all macros trust center setting that allows many macros!)

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

You can always use the Styles Organizer to copy from the source to the destination.
https://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/s ... #Organizer

You can also change the styles in the source to be unique custom styles (not based on built-in styles) before copying. I believe in that case, Merge Formatting should bring the unique styles in. This would not be a quick process, though.
(I have not checked this process.)

Here are my Copy and Paste settings.
00 deleteme 1.png
When I paste using these settings and not changing paste options, I get custom styles copied.

See Word Tips: Understanding Smart Cut and Paste
https://wordribbon.tips.net/T000008_Und ... Paste.html
Allen Wyatt says that the Smart Style Behavior option is meaningless, but see...
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/offic ... lebehavior

[Edit: I just checked and when the source has style formatting different from the destination, at least with my settings, the destination style definition is used and there is no adjustment of the pasted text by way of direct formatting to meet the original format.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Charles Kenyon wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 16:57
jmt356 wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 10:53
Keep Source Formatting always gives directly formatted text in the Normal underlying style. Styles are not copied, only the look.
Merge Formatting would keep the destination definition of Heading 1. I have not checked, but it may add direct formatting to the pasted text.

Like many Word options, it is not clearly worded. (i.e. Block all macros trust center setting that allows many macros!)
When copying the text, it was getting formatted in the destination document to look like the source document, but the styles were not copying over. For example, if I copied text in Heading 1, in the destination document, the text and style appearance would copy over, but the name of the style was Normal + bold + center + all caps.

I was able to fix this by going into File | Options | Advanced and under Pasting between documents when style definitions conflict, selecting "Use Destination Styles (Default)."
Regards,

JMT