Update Table of Contents with <F9> key

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Update Table of Contents with <F9> key

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Word2003. I often select all and update (Ctrl+A, F9) because I use the TOC as a quick jump mechanism (Ctrl+Home then Click on a TOC entry)

I have noticed that Word2003 issues one of two responses, apparently at random:-
(1) When I tap F9, Word updates whatever it updates, no questions asked.
(2) When I tap F9, Word asks me about updating the TOC
Untitled.png
Sometimes after I get response (1) I tap F9 again immediately and then get response (2).

I can not work out why I sometimes get the popup box, and sometimes do not.
Perhaps you are thinking "Chris only gets the popup in documents that have a TOC", but this is not the case. I was in a TOC-document when I got no response, and tapped the F9 key immediately and received the popup on the second try, which prompted this post.

Yes, if the document has no TOC I get no popup, but in documents with a TOC, I sometimes get the popup and sometimes do not.
Oh yes: most of my documents have {SEQ} fields, so 90% of the time, there is a field or two worth updating.

This is just another of life's little mysteries. If anyone can suggest a procedure that can be tested, I will give it a try.
Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Re: Update Table of Contents with <F9> key

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Just a guess:
(1) changes have been made to paragraph and header text but not to any headers identified as entries into the TOC
(2) changes have been made to text AND to headers identified as entries into the TOC, OR a TOC header changes pages as a result of pressing F9.

When (1) happens, only an update happens. When (2) happens, the dialog pops up.

Does that fit into your experience?

{added the scenario of multiple F9 presses causing the pop-up}
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 14:12
Does that fit into your experience?
Not yet (grin), but an excellent theory. Let me try it and get back to you. Thanks PJ.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 14:12
(1) changes have been made to paragraph and header text but not to any headers identified as entries into the TOC
(2) changes have been made to text AND to headers identified as entries into the TOC, OR a TOC header changes pages as a result of pressing F9.
Hi PJ.
TOC_001.png
The original document was updated with Ctrl+A, <F9>. I responded to the request with “Update entire table”, so that in theory I am in a quiescent state. This is my benchmark state.

(1) I replaced one word in BodyText style “Condensation” with “Condensation”, then Ctrl+A, <F9>. “Update entire table”
(2) I replaced one word in BodyText style “Condensation” with “Condensation”, then just , <F9>. No prompt.
(3) I replaced one word in Heading 1 style “Arithmetic” with “Arithmetic”, then just , <F9>. No prompt.
(4) I placed my text cursor within the TOC at “Other Notational Systems“ then just , <F9>. “Update entire table”

It seems that the prompt appears only when any part of the TOC is governed by the text cursor.

I should have thought of that in the first place. :sad:

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.