problem when endnotes (end of section) spill to two pages

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

problem when endnotes (end of section) spill to two pages

Post by stuck »

I have a document where Endnotes are set to appear at the end of a Section. The Section they are in / at the end of is Portrait. The next Section is Landscape. As long as all the Endnotes fit on one page then everything Is OK, the Endnotes appear on a single (Portrait) page.

Today I have a document with so many Endnotes they spill on to a second page and that second page becomes landscape and that is ugly. As yet I've not found away of keeping the second / spill over page of Endnotes in Portrait without having an empty page before the start of the Landscape Section. That too is ugly.

Is there any way round this?

Thanks,

Ken

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Re: problem when endnotes (end of section) spill to two pages

Post by PJ_in_FL »

If you create a new section between the Portrait and Landscape sections, then add

"This page is intentionally left blank"

does that help?

AKA "polishing a sow's ear".
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See Endnotes change orientation after filling the page.
The trick is to insert the continuous page break before the first endnote.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 15:52
AKA "polishing a sow's ear".
I'd thought of that but it doesn't appeal, because no matter how shiny it is, it's still a sow's ear :grin:
HansV wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 16:02
See Endnotes change orientation after filling the page.
The trick is to insert the continuous page break before the first endnote.
Thanks but I've already discovered this trick and it's not a complete fix. It does fix the orientation of the second page of Endnotes but it introduces a blank page before the Landscape Section and I don't want that because that then requires a "This page is intentionally left blank" statement. Unless of course I've missed something :scratch:

Meanwhile, because I posted my question, I've come up with another workaround that works for this particular case. The spill over is not huge so by reducing the 'space after' on the Endnote paragraphs I can get them all onto one page. The end result is a bit cramped but it's the least ugly solution I've come up with so far.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See the attached sample document.

Endnotes.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Ah ha!

I'd missed the fact the paragraph where I inserted the Continuous Section break was set to 'page break before'. Unticking that makes the blank page go away.
:thankyou:

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

OK, further proof that Word is out to get me / make me look stupid...

This morning when I came to explain this fix to the guy who asked me about this problem, the irritation of the extra blank page appearing after I'd inserted the continuous Section break is not happening. Yes, that's right, I'm saying that this morning, when I start with the file where the Endnotes spill and then insert a continuous break before the existing next page break, the spill over page goes Portrait and there is no blank page before the landscape Section. Today it makes no difference whether or not I remove the 'page break before' on the paragraph where I inserted the continuous break, I'm not seeing this irritating blank page any more :hairout: :scratch:

Oh well, at least the problem is fixed.

Thanks again,

Ken