Adjusting default "footnote pane" size in the draft view possible?

New Daddy
4StarLounger
Posts: 413
Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 20:02

Adjusting default "footnote pane" size in the draft view possible?

Post by New Daddy »

When I work on a manuscript with lots of footnotes, I work in the draft view.
I prefer it to the Print Layout View, because in the Print Layout View, sometimes footnotes are too far below from the text and you have to scroll up and down to read your notes.

One small feature that I wish Word had - if it doesn't already - is to change the default size of the footnote pane in the Draft View.
It is too small, and I always have to increase the height.
Is there a way to change the default size of the footnote pane in the Draft view?

User avatar
HansV
Administrator
Posts: 69036
Joined: 16 Jan 2010, 00:14
Status: Microsoft MVP
Location: Wageningen, The Netherlands

Re: Adjusting default "footnote pane" size in the draft view possible?

Post by HansV »

Not as far as I know, but you could create this macro in your default template Normal.dotm:

Code: Select all

Sub FootnotePaneHeight()
    ActiveWindow.SplitVertical = 60
This sets the top pane (the document) to use 60% of the height of the window, and the bottom pane (the footnote pane) to use the remaining 40%. You can change the percentage of course.

If you assign the macro to a Quick Access Toolbar button and/or a custom keyboard shortcut, you can easily set the height of the footnote panel the way you want.
Regards,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger
Posts: 413
Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 20:02

Re: Adjusting default "footnote pane" size in the draft view possible?

Post by New Daddy »

Thanks for the tip, as always.
What's the VBA command to bring up the footnote pane first in the draft view?

HansV wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 15:07

Code: Select all

Sub FootnotePaneHeight()
    ActiveWindow.SplitVertical = 60
This sets the top pane (the document) to use 60% of the height of the window, and the bottom pane (the footnote pane) to use the remaining 40%. You can change the percentage of course.

If you assign the macro to a Quick Access Toolbar button and/or a custom keyboard shortcut, you can easily set the height of the footnote panel the way you want.

User avatar
HansV
Administrator
Posts: 69036
Joined: 16 Jan 2010, 00:14
Status: Microsoft MVP
Location: Wageningen, The Netherlands

Re: Adjusting default "footnote pane" size in the draft view possible?

Post by HansV »

The command to display the footnote pane if you are already in Draft View is

Code: Select all

    ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneFootnotes
So you could use

Code: Select all

Sub ShowFootnotePane()
    ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneFootnotes
    ActiveWindow.SplitVertical = 60
End Sub
Regards,
Hans

User avatar
ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger
Posts: 11295
Joined: 24 Jan 2010, 23:23
Location: paused.undefined.exposed

Re: Adjusting default "footnote pane" size in the draft view possible?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 15:07
ActiveWindow.SplitVertical = 60
Neat!
Thanks Hans.
Chris
People who live in glass houses shouldn’t grow zucchinis