Shift + F5 not working in Word 2016

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Shift + F5 not working in Word 2016

Post by hlewton »

OK thanks for your help. At least I got the Word document edited.

Do you suppose contacting Office 365 help would be able to do anything without completely uninstalling and then reinstalling Office?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My guess would be that they wouldn't know either and ask you to uninstall and reinstall Office.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:36
My guess would be that they wouldn't know either and ask you to uninstall and reinstall Office.
Exactly what I am thinking and don't want to do.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

By the way, have you installed any software recently that runs in the background, and that might have taken over Alt+F11?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I sure don't think so. The only thing I remember recently is making my Windows Defender run in Real Time and making Malwarebytes run scheduled checks and not be the primary anti-virus program. I did just recently run a CHKDSK /R and a manual defrag and optimization. Any program I can get and run that may be able to fix this?

By the way, I did the same thing to my other computers except running CHKDSK /R and a manual defrag and optimization, and the Alt+F11 still works on them.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't know of such a program.

One other thing: if you press Alt+F11 in Excel, does the name of the workbook in the title bar of the Excel window get slightly dimmer, or does it remain the same?

S0191.png

If you look closely, you'll see that 'Book 4 - Excel' is slightly dimmer in 2. than in 1. in the screenshot above. Do you see something like that after pressing Alt+F11?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 16:40
I don't know of such a program.

One other thing: if you press Alt+F11 in Excel, does the name of the workbook in the title bar of the Excel window get slightly dimmer, or does it remain the same?

S0191.png

If you look closely, you'll see that 'Book 4 - Excel' is slightly dimmer in 2. than in 1. in the screenshot above. Do you see something like that after pressing Alt+F11?
There is no difference in Excel when I press those keys. I guess there should be but the only thing that happens is those little black boxes appear.

I have another question. I placed that code in Word's Visual Basic Editor after inserting a module. Then I got to thinking since it was in the Normal template I shouldn't have had to put the code in again. Now I have 2 modules with the same code. How do I delete 1 of them?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I figured out how to delete that module.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

hlewton wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 17:29
There is no difference in Excel when I press those keys.
Thanks - that eliminates another possibility. Unfortunately it doesn't bring us closer to a solution.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I very much doubt that this will help, but if you type Alt-F8 to bring up the Macros dialog box, then select Macros in: Word commands and run the macro ListCommands this will let you print out a list of all the current Word keyboard shortcuts. Look through it for F11 and see what you find.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 19:05
I very much doubt that this will help, but if you type Alt-F8 to bring up the Macros dialog box, then select Macros in: Word commands and run the macro ListCommands this will let you print out a list of all the current Word keyboard shortcuts. Look through it for F11 and see what you find.
I'm sorry but I guess I am not understanding this. I opened Word, I held Alt+F8 and it did not bring up any list of macros. Please see the attachment to see what it brought up. I am probably not doing what you are trying to tell me to do.
AltF8.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Your screenshot shows that you have GeForce Experience installed. This hijacks several keyboard shortcuts, among which Alt+F8 as your screenshot shows, but - as far as I know - not Alt+F11.

You can activate the dialog that StuartR showed by activating the Developer tab in Word and clicking Macros.

You can uninstall GeForce Experience if you don't want to use its features (I have always found them more intrusive than useful).
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 22:01
Your screenshot shows that you have GeForce Experience installed. This hijacks several keyboard shortcuts, among which Alt+F8 as your screenshot shows, but - as far as I know - not Alt+F11.

You can activate the dialog that StuartR showed by activating the Developer tab in Word and clicking Macros.

You can uninstall GeForce Experience if you don't want to use its features (I have always found them more intrusive than useful).
Thank you. I uninstalled that GeForce Experience and it not only made Alt+F8 work, it made Alt+F11 work as well. I don't even recall when that was installed but I have to believe I hadn't tried to use the VBA since then. Maybe it was an updated driver that made this happen. I really have no idea. I'm glad that is fixed though.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

GeForce Experience is installed by default when you install a new driver for an NVidia graphics card.
For next time: if you select Custom when you install the new driver, you can deselect GeForce Experience.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 22:30
GeForce Experience is installed by default when you install a new driver for an NVidia graphics card.
For next time: if you select Custom when you install the new driver, you can deselect GeForce Experience.
I will try to remember that. Thanks again for your help. Also, thanks SurartR for your suggestion that lead to the solution.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That's a fortunate result!

I always uninstall geForce experience when it gets accidentally installed. I've never seen any value from it. Maybe it's only for gamers.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 23:16
That's a fortunate result!

I always uninstall geForce experience when it gets accidentally installed. I've never seen any value from it. Maybe it's only for gamers.
I had no idea it even existed and I sure don't play games. I am going to try to keep an eye out for it in the future.

I did call Microsoft yesterday and of course after he ran a quick repair with no results he wanted to uninstall and then reinstall the Office 365 and I told him right from the beginning that was not an option. He is having second level support call me today but now I don't need them. I would think MS would have something in their vast database of information that would alert them about this geForce Experience problem.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I found this interesting so thought I'd post it.

I called Microsoft Office Support just now to cancel the call back from level 2 support today since it is no longer needed. I once again reached a first level support person and he actually was kind of useless. He did manage, without any trouble, to get the callback cancelled but then I had two questions for him. The first was if he was interested in knowing how my issue was resolved and he was not. I told him this amazed me since I thought MS would show interest in a solution to a problem they had no answer for. So since he didn't want to know, I didn't tell him.

Second, as many of you probably already know, whenever you connect to MS support they send a verification code to make sure who they are talking with. It is supposed to be sent as an email to my email on record in my account and to my cell phone as a text message. I never got the text message. So we checked my account and sure enough my cell phone was still listed there and he had no answer as to why I didn't get that text message. In itself that isn't so bad but in conjunction with him not being concerned how my problem was resolved makes me wonder what type of support MS really has.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The first point is stupid (of that support person), the latter one is worrying!
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

HansV wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 22:01
This hijacks several keyboard shortcuts, among which Alt+F8 as your screenshot shows, but - as far as I know - not Alt+F11.
Alt+F11 is not working to open the developer tab in excel 2016 - Microsoft Community suggests that it does affect Alt+F11
Leif