hyperlinks?

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

hyperlinks?

Post by Nick Vittum »

Today is the first time I've used Word at any length since I downloaded 365. And I discovered that hyperlinks have become invisible. I mean, the text is visible, but the fact that it's a hyperlink is not. That can be annoying for several reasons. I feel sure there must be a setting in options to make them display in the traditional manner, but I can't find it. Has anyone encountered this issue?
Last edited by Nick Vittum on 27 Feb 2020, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
—Nick

I’m only an egg (but hard-boiled)

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Where'd the hyperlinks all go?

Post by Rudi »

I've not picked up on that behaviour.
Have you checked the hyperlink style to see if it is missing the 'traditional' formatting?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

Rudi wrote:I've not picked up on that behaviour.
Have you checked the hyperlink style to see if it is missing the 'traditional' formatting?
I have checked the style, yes. There is no "traditional" or similar option. Trying to manually force it to display as blue and underlined, as an imitation of traditional hyperlink appearance, produced exactly the opposite results I wanted. Weird.

Formatting the individual instance on the page worked (although of course that doesn't imitate the color change of a clicked hyperlink) But the main thing I was trying to do was remove a bunch of hyperlinks from a document copied from the Web, and without any color, finding them all was very difficult.
—Nick

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

OKay. News Flash, mea culpa and all that (I was very tired last night). What I just wrote clicked a bell. I just now tried creating a new document and putting a link in it, and it performed normally. It was the document last night that was copied from the web that was causing the issue. It had frames and all sorts of built-in styles that were causing issues. They don't interact with the Word styles very well.
—Nick

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Phew!
Best wishes,
Hans

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Re: hyperlinks?

Post by Nick Vittum »

So anyway— about links, and this document in question. It's a relatively short article, and yet has hundreds of hidden external links in it. Word's links editor only allows you to edit links one at a time. I suppose I could just copy and then repaste it as plain text, but I think I'd loose all the graphics, to say nothing of formatting.

Does anyone know anyway to break all the links at once? Maybe some sort of simple macro? (I have almost no experience using macros in Word).
—Nick

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try the following:

- Press Ctrl+A to select the entire document.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink all fields.
Best wishes,
Hans

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

HansV wrote: - Press Ctrl+A to select the entire document.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink all fields.
Interesting. I never heard of that. Unfortunately, in this case, it didn't work.

Here's what did work: The document was actually an HTM; I was just opening it in Word because I thought that would give me better control (especially of links). So I saved it as a Word document. Once I did that, the links editor allowed me to select all the links at once and break them. Weirdly, it about quadrupled the file size when I did that. Maybe it was downloading the graphics every time I opened the file, instead of storing them But it broke the links, and the load time is now a fraction of what it was.
—Nick

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Ctrl+Shift+F9 may require Fn+Ctrl+Shift+F9. This depends on your system BIOS.

The formatting of Hyperlinks and Followed Hyperlinks is controlled by those two character styles. There are time when I want a hyperlink in a printed manual. In those cases I do not want the underlining because it confuses empty spaces with underscores, so I modify these styles to remove that formatting.

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

Nick Vittum wrote:I just now tried creating a new document and putting a link in it, and it performed normally. It was the document last night that was copied from the web that was causing the issue.
Hyperlinked content copied from web pages will often not display as hyperlinks in Word due to the way they're formatted on those web pages. Ctrl-A, Ctrl-Shift-F9 (or, perhaps, Ctrl-A, Fn-Ctrl-Shift-F9 on a laptop) will break any hyperlinks (and other field codes - e.g. Tables of Contents & cross-references) in the document body and frames, but not those in textboxes.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

macropod wrote:"***
(or, perhaps, Ctrl-A, Fn-Ctrl-Shift-F9 on a laptop)
Side note: There are desktop computers that hijack the function keys as well! I ended up with one about four years ago.
I think it was an HP.