Blue Underline in Word2003

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Blue Underline in Word2003

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BlueUnderline.png
I’ve been seeing this for years, thought to look it up in Word2003 help.
Underneath my letter “B” is a blue line, but not what I would think of a Blue Wavy Line.
The word Bonavista is not a hyperlink (nor for that matter is its first letterm “B”)
Bonavista is in my Custom.DIC.
I most often generate “Bonavista” my an Auto-correct (“BV”->”Bonavista”)
BlueUnderline02.png
The Blue line disappears after a minute or so; I’ve not timed it.
It is as if Word2003 was having second thoughts about capitalization and then shrugged and said “Close enough for government work”.
As you might guess, this is not critical. I’m curious more than anything.
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

jstevens
GoldLounger

Re: Blue Underline in Word2003

Post by jstevens »

Chris,

I'd move on with this one. Remember what happened to the cat. :grin:
Regards,
John

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I don't think Word cares about Bonavista per se, it is autocorrect. Have you tried to click on the link, or right-click on the word? If it disappears after a minute or so, that would indicate a rather slow computer, me thinks. :smile: (Try some standard examples in the list of English words such as "adn" (for "and") or "aganist".)
jstevens wrote:Chris,

I'd move on with this one. Remember what happened to the cat. :grin:
:grin:
I believe it's safe; the installation of baseboard heaters and rewiring on the other hand ... :electric:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Both John and Argus are correct. However, with regards to your question, Argus has identified the source, being AutoCorrect.
20191023_397.jpg
If you move your mouse over the word it will activate a smart tag button.
20191023_398.jpg
If you click on the button, you will see options to select from.
20191023_399.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:... it is autocorrect. Have you tried to click on the link, or right-click on the word?
Thank you, Argus. Also Rudi.
BlueUnderline03.png
I tried using my autocorrect string "BV" and I tried typing "Bonavista" out longhand.
The blue line appears only on the first string, and only then when I move (keyboard left-arrow for an instance) the text cursor back to that leading letter "B".
I suspect that is why the blue line disappears "after a while" - I've moved the text cursor.

I type "Adn" and Word2003 autocorrects without a whimper; again, when I left-arrow back to the "A" the blue line appears.
Thanks again
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote: ...Argus has identified the source, being AutoCorrect.
"Argus has identified the source, being Always Correct.", surely? :evilgrin: :clapping:
Cheers
Chris

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
"Argus has identified the source, being Always Correct.", surely?
Nope! that would be ArgusV. :evilgrin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote: Nope! that would be ArgusV. :evilgrin:
:cranky: :cranky: :cranky: :cop:

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
"Argus has identified the source, being Always Correct.", surely? :evilgrin: :clapping:
Cheers
Chris
You're being too kind, again, Mr. Greaves. It's just an illusion. (Perhaps something with time dilation.)

On the topic of Word, I bet you can do 1001 things with the software that I can't, or didn't know was possible.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:... I bet you can do 1001 things with the software that I can't, or didn't know was possible.
OK. Here’s number one (in a series of 1,001 I should live so long ...)
Check out the YouTube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmxuU5LJYj4&t=19s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THEN
Download the public self-installing package from http://www.chrisgreaves.com/Downloads/Indxr_FREE.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OR
Download the beta version I am using today from http://www.ChrisGreaves.com/Downloads/20191026_0947.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open (and re-save) one of your current documents, of the order of 40 to 80 pages long; a training manual, a technical manual, the first part of your annual overseas Christmas letter, or just copy and paste lots of text from any Eileens Lounge thread into a new word document.
Contemplate the steps to create a single {XE} entry, typically: Insert, Fields, Index and tables, XE, Mark index entry, fill in the little boxes, Mark.
Rinse and repeat.
Technical writers, when they are being honest, say they can average one entry per minute, so at twenty {XE} terms per page, that’s three pages per hour.
Your 40-page document should be ready after thirteen or fourteen hours.
THEN you manually insert a {Index} at the foot of your document and tap the <F9> function key.

OR
You can one-click on the little running-man on the Indxr toolbar.

Then report back here (grin)
P.S. I have attached a working copy of my 91-page T:\Pers\Writing\Recipes.doc for anyone who wants a 90+ page document to play with.

Next up: “TrailBlazer”

Cheers
Chris

P.S. And anyway, if I can do 1001 things with the software that you can't, or didn't know was possible, it is only because I receive so much help and guidance from my peerrs and superiors here! C.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus, I realise that I hadn't checked if the documentation is in that zip file, so I have uploaded one document - UserGuide.doc - to www.chrisgreaves/Downloads/20191030_0757_Argus.zip.
There are many more-detailed docs, but that should be a start.
Cheers
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Thank you, Chris. I checked the video earlier, I think it's very neat. :thumbup:

( :whisper: The link doesn't work at the moment.)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:( :whisper: The link doesn't work at the moment.)
Odd?
I tested both links before submitting the post, and i have tested them just now (Saturday 2:30pm Nfld-time) and the files d/l succesfully.
Cheers
Chris

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The link to http://www.chrisgreaves/Downloads/20191 ... _Argus.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; doesn't work, as the site name is not valid
I suspect you intended to include something after http://www.chrisgreaves" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and before /Downloads
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:The link to http://www.chrisgreaves/Downloads/20191 ... _Argus.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; doesn't work, as the site name is not valid
I suspect you intended to include something after http://www.chrisgreaves" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and before /Downloads
Something odd going on here.
Untitled.png
The link in Post=259151 shows the full site as "WWW.CHRISGREAVES.COM" but your recent post does not.
I clicked on those two links fifteen minutes ago, saw the regular "save this file" prompt from Firefox, clicked "Save" and received the two zip files in my B: folder.
This B: folder is created fresh each day; right now it points to "T:\Blotter\20191102" which was created at first-boot this morning. The d/l files are newly created on my hard drive just twenty minutes ago.

FWIW I attach a PrtScr of FileZilla so that you can check, by typing manually, the actual path for one of the files.

HTH
Chris