What's Happening Here? Part 2

kdock
5StarLounger

What's Happening Here? Part 2

Post by kdock »

I've been mulling over the strange template issue I posted at the beginning of July. I went back and rifled through the xml and found nothing to indicate what was happening. Hardly surprising since I didn't know what I was looking for and there's no part called "problems.xml". However, I pulled up the template in Word again and deleted the paragraphs that had been brought to my attention previously. Yep, same behavior. Here's a very short video showing what I tried to describe in my previous post.

I've discovered another thing as a result of doing the video. All the paragraphs afflicted with this behavior are numbered with listnum fields rather than a numbered paragraph style, in order to keep them from appearing in the table of contents. Very typical in my work and I've done this many times without the unfortunate side effect.
But I know numbering can be treacherous sometimes and this just may be one of those times. But it's so darned weird! :scratch:

I'll keep fiddling with it, but if anyone has any ideas...

Thanks, Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

kdock
5StarLounger

Re: What's Happening Here? Part 2

Post by kdock »

Okay, still darned weird, but I'll take it. I've deleted and reinserted several of the troublesome listnum fields and the behavior disappears. I'll replace them all, save and create a couple of documents tomorrow.

Weird.

Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you'd like to let someone else investigate the problem, you could attach a sample document...
Best wishes,
Hans

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Hans, here's the document. It exhibits the same behavior as the template, but there's much less of it and it's filled with Lorem Ipsum.

Another behavior is that my name is always associated with the change, even with someone else logged onto their own computer. See if that happens to you. Thanks in advance!
Document from troubled template.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I do see several lines like this in document.xml, associated with lines that use the Para3 style:
<w:numberingChange w:id="20" w:original="(a)" w:date="2010-06-21T10:52:00Z" w:author="Kim Murdock"/>
I suspect that has to do with the problem, but I'm not sure how...
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

You can use styles other than heading styles for style-associated numbering. Those styles do not need to be reflected is a TOC.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Very true. It's not the path I took, but it is another way of addressing this.

Kim