auto save

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

auto save

Post by Dave Davison »

When using a previous computer I noted in Word there was an option to set "Auto Save" to do so every (x) minutes. Can a keyboard shortcut be assigned to do this.
Thank you again Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: auto save

Post by HansV »

There was an AutoSave feature in Word 95 and before. Word 97 and later don't have AutoSave any more, there's an AutoRecover feature instead. If Word crashes, it uses the AutoRecover information to open all the documents you were working on in as near as possible to the state they were in when Word crashed.

You can set/change this as follows:
- Select Tools | Options...
- Activate the Save tab.
- Make sure that the check box "Save AutoRecover information every ... minutes" is ticked.
- The save interval is set to 10 minutes by default, but you can change it if you like.
- Don't make the interval too short though, that will interfere with the way Word works, especially if you're editing large documents.
- Click OK.

You have to set this only once, it operates fully automatically after that, so there is no need for a keyboard shortcut.

If you want to save your document from time to time while working on it, press Ctrl+S.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Dave Davison wrote:Can a keyboard shortcut be assigned to do this?
No guarantees, but the attached code might do what you want. I don't think I've left any library code hanging around.
I use a toolbar button that shows one of the ten digits. Clicking the toolbar advances the save interval and wraps around back to zero.
I can't see why you couldn't assign a shortcut key to the macro "SaveEachMinute".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Chris,

Your code calls RunSaveDocs in an OnTime statement, but RunSaveDocs is not present in the text file.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks gents..... Hans....I knew about the Ctrl + S and use it constantly...just wondered if there was an auto save feature with 2003. As for the code you went to the trouble of posting Chris..... sorry but I haven't a clue about Macros...wouldn't know where to start but thanks anyway, will just continue to use the keyboard shortcut mentioned above. As we say here in the UK. ... much obliged. Dave.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... RunSaveDocs is not present in the text file.
Thanks Hans.
The RunSaveDocs is part of my MRUse ap[plication; below is pasted a stripped-down version of it, untested in this state.

Code: Select all

Public Sub RunSaveDocs()
    If Documents.Count > 1 Then
        Dim docOriginal As Document
        Set docOriginal = ActiveDocument
    Else
    End If
    On Error GoTo Failed
    If Options.SaveInterval > 0 Then
        Call SaveDocs
        Call Application.OnTime(Now + TimeSerial(0, Options.SaveInterval, 0), "RunSaveDocs")
    Else
    End If
    If docOriginal Is Nothing Then
    Else
        docOriginal.Activate
    End If
    Exit Sub
Failed:
    Dim lngErrNumber As Long
    lngErrNumber = Err.Number
    Dim strErrDescription As String
    strErrDescription = Err.Description
    Select Case lngErrNumber
    Case 4605 ' The SaveInterval method is not available because a dialog box is open
        Call Application.OnTime(Now + TimeSerial(0, 1, 0), "RunSaveDocs")
    Case Else
    End Select
    If docOriginal Is Nothing Then
    Else
        docOriginal.Activate
    End If
End Sub
Public Function SaveDocs()
    Dim lng As Long
    For lng = 1 To Documents.Count
        If Documents(lng).Saved Then
        Else
            Documents(lng).Save
        End If
    Next lng
End Function

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Just to emphasis, the AutoRecover option in Word is only supposed to be an emergency backup that Word can use to try and restore your precious work after a crash. It is NOT a substitute for a genuine Save or Save As. The golden rule is "save as you go".

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

One problem with ANY auto save, is when you DO NOT want the file to be saved and you want to quick and NOT save , it has just been saved. I have seen many a file destroyed because of a unwanted change and the file is saved. There is NO undo for a saved file.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:... when you DO NOT want the file to be saved ... There is NO undo for a saved file.
I agree wholeheartedly with the first comment. That's why my AutoSave is a toolbar button on my Normal.dot Standard, and the Normal.dot is refreshed from a sterile source each loading of Word; that is, whenever I re-load Word, I get a button set to "0" so Auto-Save is turned OFF by default.
I do make heavy use of it when I am in text-input mode e.g. writing my autobiography or keying in voluminous notes for a user guide or training manual.

The second comment is also a valid warning, which is why the code modules that support my AutoSave also support an audit trail, so that each Autosave event leaves behind a uniquely-stamped version in a spare area. If I have three documents open and Autosave set to five minutes, then every five minutes an extra copy of each of three documents will be saved with a new name (typically with "YYYYMMDD_hhmmss"). At the end of the session or day, I close Word and delete the audit trail contents.

It is for the two reasons Dave mentioned above that I trip up when trying to paste code in the forums, because below the surface there are indeed many things to be considered, and so my code invokes many related activities; it's not always easy just to copy-and-paste code in isolation from a working system.

That said, I continue to be mystified that a stumble-bum VBA programmer like me(1) can get the scheme working and Microsoft appeared to throw in the towel.

(1) Please send embarrassing and flattering denials by PM

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:There was an AutoSave feature in Word 95 and before.
Thanks for the PM (I think!).
I was fascinated to read that there really was an Autosave in Word 95. No doubt it is that lizard-brain memory that persists and make people think that auto-recover really is auto-save.
What can have prompted Msoft to drop such a scheme? (no need to answer).
It is doubts like these that set me to thinking I'm not as smart as I think I am, i.e. OK so I can effect an Autosave and an Audit-save in VBA, but surely the great and mighty MSoft must know something that I don't know - otherwise why would they drop such a useful utility?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think there is anyone outside Microsoft who knows what is behind the design decisions they make - some excellent, some atrocious, and some just plain weird...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:I don't think there is anyone outside Microsoft who knows what is behind the design decisions they make - some excellent, some atrocious, and some just plain weird...
I disagree entirely.

I don't think there is anyone inside Microsoft who knows what is behind the design decisions they make. :rofl:

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

......seeing I started this thread maybe I can end it.... this just confirms what I have written before about the so called expensive enhanced systems MS brings on them market. My first system was windows 98 which I found to be more than adequate for the average John Doe who just wants a reliable system without all the complicated frills. When they dumped 2003 for Vista they replaced Photo editor with MS Office Picture Manager and made redundant some simple features that I [an ongoing novice] found dead easy to use. I dread the imminent demise of 2003 as I have tried 2007 and can't say I delight in it. Thanks for all the comments Dave.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Yes some of the early version of Word had this AutoSave. I believe that i was in the last 2 or 3 DOS versions of Word.

I do know it was ON by default and set for about 10 minutes. We had so many people relying of this feature and it failed, because the users felt that since it was Autosaved, when closing a file one did not need to save.
I was on the Software committee, and we refused to go to a newer version of Word if the AutoSave was still there. We had several Microsoft people ate most of our meetings as they wanted us to get the current in BETA in production at the company. As long it was even in the BETA, we refused to be a BETA group. Needless to say about a month later we received a BETA without AutoSave as the default and one had to go through many screens to get it turned on.

Yes, Microsoft did and still does listen to their LARGE customer base.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living